Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What do you use????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey friendz,
I have been working on RC robots for while.
1}I would like to know what do you use to communicate with your robot(I mean which wireless module).
Is there any cheap module that can work for RC helicopter with 4 OR 6 motors(Xbee is expensive that much speed(2.4 GHz) is not required.)
2}To build a wireless module from an IC which site should i refer...I really hate xbee..

Hey friendz,
I have been working on RC robots for while.
1}I would like to know what do you use to communicate with your robot(I mean which wireless module).
Is there any cheap module that can work for RC helicopter with 4 OR 6 motors(Xbee is expensive that much speed(2.4 GHz) is not required.)
2}To build a wireless module from an IC which site should i refer...I really hate xbee..

I wouldn't try building a module from an IC, simply because you need impedance matched circuit boards and those will cost you at least $500-800 to make because they are very custom circuit boards. Not to mention you can't test the circuit without the PCB which likely means multiple iterations of the PCB need to be made before it's working properly. Xbee modules range from $20-$50...how is that expensive? And what exactly is it that you "really hate"?

If you think 2.4GHz is the speed of an Zigbee module...well you need to read up on RF a bit more. THat's the radio frequency it uses and not it's data rate. EIther way, you actually do want as much speed as you can get for RC even if you don't need to send that much data because it to reduces control time latency. (The latency of a Zigbee module at 9600bps is ~100ms, but is something like ~8ms at 115kbps)

I use Xbee or their 900MHz long range version, the 9Xtend.

Last edited:
If you think 2.4GHz is the speed of an Zigbee module...well you need to read up on RF a bit more. THat's the radio frequency it uses and not it's data rate.

Oh thanks I was really confused with the speed and Band it uses. These are liscence free bands. But is there another Zigbee which costs less than 5$ or somewhere near to that...??

Oh thanks I was really confused with the speed and Band it uses. These are liscence free bands. But is there another Zigbee which costs less than 5$ or somewhere near to that...??

I don't know anything about that. It might be a Zigbee chipset, but I doubt its a module.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back