Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What Do You Think Of This?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownOut

Banned
I have a burning desire to rig up some pontoon outriggers on my 26 foot McGregor sailboat and cruise northern Florida's intercoastal waterway. I started scanning sailing discussion groups to see if anyone else is trying this. Most every similar question brought out all the "Safety Nazis." They complained about everthing from how dangerous it would be to do such a thing to how it would screw up the sailing characterists. It was a very discouraging experience :mad:

I can't decide if the respondents are real masters of knowledge who are genuinely concerned about safety and a good sailing experience, or if they just enjoy shooting holes through every innovative idea, or things that they are too afraid to try.

I'm not giving up on the idea just yet. I'm not a structrual engineer, so I can't say for sure how safe it really is. But I do manage to build lots of strudy things and haven't seriously injured myself on any of my innovations....yet!

If someones against it for safety reasons you already have my support! GO for it!
Its your boat do what you please with it.

I get grief from people from time to time for modifying my stuff to server a better purpose. The main gripe is safety and resale value. I always tell them either way the scrap man doesn't care! He pays the same whether its working, broken or in pieces!
Once I am done with something its garbage or scrap metal.

I guess it depends how much you know and the consequences if something goes wrong. THe most common example on this forum is when someone comes in asking how to make a 20kV Tesla coil, but they obviously don't know what they're doing so you get all the "safety nazis" coming out. If that is the case, then making them feel discourage *IS* the goal since they're dead if they are lucky and get it even get it partially working.

But when someone who seems to know what they're talking about asks, people just answer their question. THis happens fairly rarely though since the people who know enough to safely go about making 20kV Tesla coils usually don't have to ask anything.

At least for me, the "scrap metal is scrap metal" argument doesn't really apply. Maybe it's just the nature of the material on this forum, but I've never noticed anyone really concerned about about issues like "resale value" or material losses (short of things like burning your house down, destroying your car engine, or sinking your boat). Usually the problem is the person killing themselves or doing something illegal like cluttering the radio waves.

I tend to not to shoot holes in ideas I don't know much about because how can you when you don't know much about it? So I'd assume the people who are shooting down your idea at least know SOMETHING and what they say has some merit. I'll admit that it can be satisfying to shoot holes in bad ideas but remember that it's also really easy to convince yourself that other people are jealous, or too afraid , or not as innovative when they start saying things about your idea that you don't like. It happens all the time on this forum with people who have "top secret projects" involving their own patents.

Then again we are talking about a boat, and not something small like a PCB.

Last edited:
could you use "safety extremist" or "safety enthusiast"?

all words are accessed, and counted, by various spiders.

or you could "poison" the word, either by inserting stars:
"N**si",
or inserting a score:
"Na-zi".

so it is not weighted too much for no purpose or reason.

just a suggestion.

I have a burning desire to rig up some pontoon outriggers on my 26 foot McGregor sailboat and cruise northern Florida's intercoastal waterway.

For some reason I'm seeing water world and Kevin Costner.

**broken link removed**

I just got through today scraping and painting my dad's Old wooden Boat. He leaves it in dry dock every year and we roll it over paint the inside and roll it back paint again.

Are there other Sail Boats that have them ?

kv:D

Last edited:
There's this one; the only one I know of. There is supposed to be an article, but after looking at hundreds of search results, and trying every combination of key words I can think of, I've come up dry.

Attachments

• SWtri.jpg
    SWtri.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 431
Dooh! I uploaded the thumbnail. Here's a better pic.

What a beauty, eh?

Attachments

• SWtri.jpg
    SWtri.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,646
There's this one; the only one I know of. There is supposed to be an article, but after looking at hundreds of search results, and trying every combination of key words I can think of, I've come up dry.

It's not a very good picture. When I'm seeing this it's like wings on a plane or something.

Simply attaching the rigging on the top is what it looks like and if so maybe would just rip off. In the movie Water World Costner's pontoon sail boat went way up on one pontoon ? The stresses and pressure to me would just rip them off on a retro-fit assemble then once torn away would be badly aligned and would then find them self's under the boat ripping it to pieces.

Now on the other hand if the boat is designed with the rigging as a part of the hull and is essentially the center structure holding the boat together maybe that would be different or maybe I'm a "eejit" and don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

kv:)

Sorry I'm lately susan. I can see it now.

Last edited:
I wish she had a name does the pic have a source or can you pull it from a site.

kv

Water World was a great movie, but it wasn't very realistic. If the boat went up on one outrigger ( don't remember that part ) then that was just a HollyWood trick.

I got the picture from the same forum where they were shooting holes in the idea.

Convert Mono Hull to Tri? - Boat Design Forums

EDIT: Heh! Re-reading over the thread; I forgot it turned into an argument about mono v. multi hulls.

Last edited:
It looks like it would work but the type of water is going to make me think a bit maybe these other people are familiar with the way the water can be and what sort of surges might bring about some concerns ?

If it were me I would be leaning toward an attachment that would go from stem to stern along the keel as well as what was going across the deck as an attachment.

kv:)

That's awesome! Course, that tri was designed to do that.

Think the guy on the windsurfer is shi**ing his pants?

looking at the thumbnail again it looks a bit like a klingon warbird [?] off the stern and closing... so yes the windsurfer is definitely warming his wetsuit :)

Last edited:
looking at the thumbnail again it looks a bit like a klingon warbird [?] off the stern and closing... so yes the windsurfer is definitely warming his wetsuit :)

No kidding. She uncloaking she's going to ram us.

Cool pic.:)

kv

Edit: Oops, only Romulans do that cloaking thing. Sorry to any trekkies.

Last edited:
I'm thinking a pontoon made of three 4" PVC pipes, 10 foot length. I figure they displace about 1000 pounds each. I might try to make a small cataramand just to test my idea.

I'm thinking a pontoon made of three 4" PVC pipes, 10 foot length. I figure they displace about 1000 pounds each. I might try to make a small cataramand just to test my idea.

How will they be joined.

kv

Edit: Gotta go now.

Last edited:
I'll make a metal structure of rings ( think Olymipic rings, but only 3 ) I don't have my graphics program, or else I'm make a picture.

Here's a pic of a 45' conversion. If you can pull it off, you get a boat with great interior room.

**broken link removed**

I'm thinking a pontoon made of three 4" PVC pipes, 10 foot length. I figure they displace about 1000 pounds each.
I think your calculations may be a bit off there.
A pipe with 4" internal diameter and length of 10 feet will have an internal volume of 1507 cubic inches.
1507 cu in is equivalent to 5.43 imperial gallons.
An imperial gallon of water weighs 10pounds.
So your pipe will displace about 54pounds (ignoring the weight/volume of the PVC).

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back