Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What do you need to add to this schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you connect pin 9 to pin 3 you'll put the chip in bar mode.
That said there are different ways of getting bar mode, you can put the chip in dot mode and connect the led's in series.
You say that the chip turns one led off, are you saying all the leds light and the indicated led goes out?, sounds like maybe your using a common cathode display if thats the case, the chip is meant for a common anode, not a problem if your using individual leds, but is an issue if your using a module with a com cath.

the problem is that without amp, everything works perfecly, and with it it turns on all the leds although there is no input signal?
I posted the wrong circuit at Aaron Cake's site. Then it was copied to here.
The LM3915 is supposed to be set up with a maximum input of 10V, not 1.25V as shown (pin 7 and pin 8).
With a maximum input of 1.25V then the small difference between the transistor forward voltage and the diode's forward voltage is too much. When the maximum input is set to 10V then the small difference does not matter.

Grounding pin 9 of the LM3915 puts it into dot mode, where only one led is on at a time. Is that what you are looking for?

Refer to the manufacturers datasheet for the LM3915 for more info.
Please do not post WRONG things.

The transistor and diode circuit is a "peak detector" that is shown in the datasheet for the LM3915 except there the IC has two resistors at pin 8 that sets the reference voltage (full scale input voltage) to 10V so that the error caused by the transistor and diode does not turn on a few LEDs when the signal level is low.
The peak detector keeps the LEDs very bright for a moment. Without the peak detector then the LEDs turn on and off faster than your vision so they appear as a dim blur.
The datasheet has more complicated peak detector circuits that work very well and use an opamp and a dual-polarity supply.

In my "VU Meter" I made a peak detector with an MC33171 single-supply opamp and it works perfectly when the reference voltage is only 1.25V. It is here:

Attachments

• peak detector.PNG
    peak detector.PNG
    16.2 KB · Views: 171
Thank you very much. It is more complicated than the other schematic so i will keep it that way. But i will make another one with this schematics u gave me, so thank you

In my version, dot mod is pretty much like bar mode except that when top led is at full brightness, the last one down is not as bright.
What is "the last one down"?
If the top LED is LED #10 then the NEXT one down is LED #9. If it has the peak detector circuit then all LEDs should have the same brightness. The circuit in the video seems to have a peak detector circuit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back