Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What did your dumbest teacher do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boncuk

From time I must wonder about the cleverness some people handle small problems. Mostly they think too complicated, but some of them don't seem to think at all.

Two examples:

The chemistry teacher showed us a chemical glass cylinder filled with notroglycerine and told us it will explode on impact. Saying that he dropped in front of his feet. We didn't see him around school for about six weeks.

The physics teacher demonstrated back EMF increasing the coil's inductance from one experiment to the next. When he had reached a point where the bulbs didn't glow anymore but brightly flashed I suspected the last flash from the lamps. He gave me a gentle smile and ignored my argument. Next thing was the lamps flashed so strongly that they exploded. I returned the gentle smile.

Boncuk

Chemistry teacher... Freudian slip? Oh I pun! It was probably just an accident. He was thinking if you drop it and he did..

Physics teacher, probably had done the same experiment a hundred times before and it took one more try that time to blow them.

Can we include bosses too?
I got a few good ones!

The chemistry teacher showed us a chemical glass cylinder filled with notroglycerine and told us it will explode on impact. Saying that he dropped in front of his feet. We didn't see him around school for about six weeks.

Nitroglycerine is very over rated :D it's no where near that sensitive

A friend of mine used to work in a local explosives factory, and spent time manufacturing the stuff - it pours out of a 3 inch pipe, and falls four feet into a large bucket, where he had to stir it.

You could only work in that section for about ten days at a time, as it gave you severe headaches and blood thinning problems.

Nitroglycerine is very over rated :D it's no where near that sensitive

A friend of mine used to work in a local explosives factory, and spent time manufacturing the stuff - it pours out of a 3 inch pipe, and falls four feet into a large bucket, where he had to stir it.

You could only work in that section for about ten days at a time, as it gave you severe headaches and blood thinning problems.

Was it a well paying job?

Not giving your age away Nigel, but surely that would have been quite a while ago. Health and Safety would have been all over that factory.

Was it a well paying job?

No, just a normal factory paying job.

Not giving your age away Nigel, but surely that would have been quite a while ago. Health and Safety would have been all over that factory.

Not that many years ago, and as far as I know it's no different now?, H&S was very strict when my friend worked there - it's also not very far away from you (and me), between Alfreton and South Normanton.

Check on google maps, just to the north east of Alfreton railway station - you can't miss it.

My dumbest teacher was from high school electronics shop class. He charged up a capacitor to around 200v, wet the back of a student's neck with a paper towel and then zapped him with it. The kid fell to the floor, hitting his head on the shop bench along the way. He went into convulsions and the medics were summoned to rush him to the hospital. The teacher was eventually fired. I was surprised to learn much later that he was hired to teach at an electronics vocational school where he eventually retired from.

Just look for the crater.

They do say if it all went up at the same time there would be a massive big hole :D

But if you look at the google image you'll see why that can't happen.

BTW, they apparently dispose of waste explosives by throwing them on a bonfire off the back of a truck!.

'common' explosives don't 'bang' unless they're constrained usually. High explosives are another story, but high explosives are also usually very difficult to get to go bang on accident, even burning many high explosives won't set them off, you need a certain amount of energy in.

One of my dumbest teachers in 7th grade was my math teacher and he had a bad temper that often caused physical outbursts that could easily be triggered some days( punching the black board, throwing books and erasers on the floor or against the wall). :eek:
(he was not very emotionaly stable)

One day we were working on basic algebra and came to a series of electrical examples in the text book relating to electricity. They were completely usless formulas that had no real relation to reality. One was, if a 120 volt toaster had an ohmic resistance of ten ohms how many amps and watts does it take. Well the formula said it used 34 amps and around 2700 watts. :confused:
We were covering electricity in science class a the same time too so we knew that the math book was wrong! :)

Several of us more outspoken students challenged this and it triggered a physical outburst. First he slapped the chalk board and said the book is right just look at the equation. Someone else said that is not the right formula for electricity plus algebraicaly it did not add up eather! Then he threw his notes aginst the wall but did not say anything.

About ten minutes later we were doing a physics related question related to a force interaction algebra equation and one of my friends said, Is this one real or totaly made up too?
That teacher angerly growled, its this real! Then blew up and kicked the guy over in his desk! :eek:

He broke his own toe (maybe several) and was gone for the rest of the week and came back in a cast and on crutches for several weeks after that!

If he would have done the physics equation he would have realized that the force required to kick a 120 pound kid in a 50 pound metal desk over backwards is large enough to break bones! (he did prove that part right!) :D

His teaching contract was not renewed the next year. :)

Years later I worked as a copier repair tech and met up with him at a different school. I mentioned the insident and purposly tried to get a physical outburst or better yet get him to hit me. Lots of students were around too. I wanted to provoke a physical assult and then beat him down in front of the students. Then get him fired and push a minor lawsuite againt the school just to make sure he never got a teaching job again. I did get a good book toss and a slammed door! :D

(I am not a mean person by nature, I just felt this would have been a good way to prevent him from ever working around childeren. Okay maybe a little spiteful payback was in the motivation too!) :p

I really did not ever like him and always felt he was not of a suitable disposition to be working around children.

About a year later an unnamed teacher at that school was in the paper for assulting a kid and was fired and has his teaching credentials permanently revoked in order to prevent a lawsuite from being filed agianst the school. :eek:

I bet it was him! :D

I sympathize with people like that just a little bit though because they can't help it, it's a built in response from whatever it is that they've been through to establish the behavior problem. It does not excuse them though. I just wish people like that could get help rather than be further ostracized. The outbursts you're describing and their effect on his career fit the general outlines of a mental illness. I have a sister and a friend who are both diagnosed Schizoaffective. I don't have anger issues like that but I've never been particularly well ballanced either. It just makes me sad to see someone degenerate like that. Then again I'm also an extremely empathic person, I by nature try to put myself in the other persons shoes, I have a very subverted personality.

I do understand that more than you may realize. I have a few family members with some rather Um.. perculiar presonality traits. But not realizing it or being willing to accept that you need some sort of help is not an excuse to put others at risk.

I grew up with a family member that I strongly believe to have some form of OCD.
It made for some very tramatic and negatively infuencing childhood moments. That is why I do not find it excuseable behavior when getting help is not hard. Your glitch should not cause negative effects or harm on others.
I am outgoing and socialble by nature but that person is not and irrationaly justifies their reasons for it, and concludes that sense its good for them anyone else that is not like them is a bad or stupid person.
In that persons eyes socializing is bad, and large social groups are really just a bunch of people using you and therefore that makes you gullible and dumb for not realizing it.

I do actualy take some light medication for stress management myself.
My
"I clean when I am stressed, but I also take medication for stress. When I start cleaning I know its time to get back on the meds, My place is a mess, But that just tells me the meds really do work! "
post does has some actual truth behind it. :p

I am a natural born past tense dweller. What might happen does not consern me at all but what already happened can lock me up so bad I cannot function. I know I can not change the past but still I am not able to get over it without some degree of occasional prescription assistance at times. ;)

I have a few other family members that are at the opposite end of what I have. The theoretical potential for something to even remotely possibly happen can keep them from doing the most rational and common sense aproches to things sometimes.
For them a 1 in a million chance is just to much of a risk to take whan dealing with a common action. :(

I have to face and deal with my limits and percuiarities and I expect no less from others! :)

My 8th grade english teacher pronounced 'hyperbole' as "hyper bowl". An english teacher. For twenty some odd years.

My Chinese algebra professor couldn't pronounce "FACTOR". When drawing equations on the board he would say "you f**ker this... you f**ker that".

But i digress... not the dumbest thing i've ever seen, it just kept the class interesting. Some of these stories are great... keep 'em coming.

My teacher gathered us all around him in the lab and charged a big capacitor
until it exploded. Funny because he didn't warn anyone he was doing it.My science teacher was heating a beaker with some liquid in it and it exploded. Glass flew everywhere. She also blew up a cow's lung in class with her mouth.

12 volts caps generally make nice fire crackers when charged to 24 volts =)

Last edited:
Try a 6800 uf 50 volt on 120 AC!
M-80!
Plus it makes a big fuzzy smelly mess too!

I had a biology teacher explaining something or other when he veered onto the topic of WW2, I remember he said "When the Japanese dropped the atomic bomb on Perl Harbor, millions of people died", my friend and I both raised our hands and tried to explain that it was the US that had dropped the bomb on Japan, but he insisted and spoke even louder "When the Japanese dropped the atomic bomb on Perl Harbor, millions of people died!" . We both get a laugh on that one even to this day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back