Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What causes it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortbus=

Most Helpful Member
In movies or TV shows, when the crime scene people are taking photos, they snap a picture and there is a "whining" sound afterward. Not the film advancing but a higher pitched whine. What is causing that?

My guess is the flash caps recharging. But why is it making a noise?

The oscillator that produces the high voltage in a flash circuit makes an audible frequency of about 2kHz. The laminations of the transformer vibrate when the high current goes through the coils.

My old flash unit would start at a lower ( but still pretty high ) frequency and the tone would get higher as it charges, until the "ready" light would come on.

When the big capacitor is discharged then its charging current from the oscillator is high so the oscillator's frequency is low. Then as the capacitor charges its charging current becomes less and the oscillator is not stuggling so much so its frequency gets higher.

Pretty much everything you've learned about anything from TV is wrong, with the exception of PBS. That goes twice for tools and technology. Ever notice how anybody not associated with the crime lab, who has an interest in electronics, tools or computers, is usually evil in some way?

Let me start by....... wickedly laughing.

The same thing happens when a television won't oscillate.

Or when little green men attach themselves to HV.

Which gives them their iridescent glow.:p

**broken link removed**

kv:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back