Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are these pliers for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
**broken link removed**

What are those 3 doohickeys on the pliers for? Particularily the 2 holes that look to be of identical size. I assume that U-indent is a crimper of some sorts.

I think the holes may be for stripping wire. I bet there are two differnt size holes on the other side of the pilers, and the oversized holes you see in the picture keep the wire from getting pinched when stripping. I think your right about the crimper part. Looks like a crimper for electrical terminals.

Kinda looks like one of those darn "all in one" tools that never work all that great.

Based on what I'm seeing in the Accessories section of the website there are some big clips called insta Gator clips.

On the wire side of the clip seem to be big enough for those 2 center circular sections of the pliers these would start the circular shape of the (Gator Clip) then finish with a crimp or if needed to shape a little before the crimp you might want to use the slightly curved section just before the needle nose portion of the plier.

I think the crimp is made nearest the cutter and some shaping could be accomplished nearer the needle plier section.

But there are actually 4 area's 6 total including the needle portion and cutter at the jaw.

For anything else you might go a head use your imagination. I use some tools based on need and what I might be able to manipulate to do for me.

I have even taken tools and used grinders and files in order for them to accomplish a task.

kv

I'll throw my 2c in the pot and agree with Andy about the part closest to the pivot being for crimping uninsulated terminals. Personally, I can probably achieve much the same result, with more reliable crimps, using just the needle nosed part of the plier...

The other holes? I have absolutely no idea.

I have even taken tools and used grinders and files in order for them to accomplish a task.

kv

Oooh KV, I suspect you and I have a similar drawer, or two, full of 'custom' tooling produced in order to fulfil a particular task....The tool and mod cost is usually factored into the grand total, so the next time they get utilised is classed as a bonus. ;)

The crimping tool is normally used to crimp brass hoses around stranded wire to avoid overlooking single strands which might be hazardous.

Those brass hoses are used to connect e.g. the power cable in an iron (iron to iron shirts etc.) to the screw head terminals.

However the size of the crimping tool only fits one diameter properly. Additionally the crimp won't be air tight which is a must wiring stranded cable in public building electric installations.

The diameter of the hose including the cable and applied pressure to the hose must be well within given parameters (auto adjusting crimp pressure).

Boncuk

Them pliers are for pulling teeth, the other part is for the root cut... :)

My wife has a crimping tool that looks just like that for her clamshell covers for her beading. Granted they're a little smaller =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back