Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What and where is good to buy PC board etch kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

What and where is good etch kit to buy?

Only PC board kit I have found so far is 1 on ebay it shows nothing just the cardboard box.

It has been 35 years since I made my own PC boards. A friend in TX said, buy PC boards with no holes and solid copper on 1 side. Draw traces with a black marker then remove copper between traces with a dremel tool. I never thought of that sounds like it will work.

Last edited:
I still make my own PCB's.
Computer Drafted, than printed on clear Acetate.
Lastly photographically Transferred to coated PCB, Developed and Etched.

What and where is good etch kit to buy?

Only PC board kit I have found so far is 1 on ebay it shows nothing just the cardboard box.

It has been 35 years since I made my own PC boards. A friend in TX said, buy PC boards with no holes and solid copper on 1 side. Draw traces with a black marker then remove copper between traces with a dremel tool. I never thought of that sounds like it will work.

If you are drawing onto the copper board with a sharpie, just dip the board into ferric chloride solution (MG Chemicals sells it in pint bottles). The copper goes away in about 20 minutes if you slosh it a bit. Be careful, the ferric chloride puts a rust stain on everything it touches.

I find it better to use a Warm solution, 1 Part of Hydrochloric Acid and 2 Parts 3% Hydrogen Peroxide.
Doesn't Stain anything.
But Corrosive, So Wear Rubber Gloves.

I have no copper circuit boards and no ferric chloride and no Hydrochloric acid. I have not found a circuit board etch kit yet. I did fine copper boards on ebay from china it takes a month to get them.

Someone on ebay has old Radio Shack etch kit with no information, it does not tell if its and empty box or there is something inside the box. No reply from seller yet. Might be vintage collectors item.

Last time I used an etch kit 35 years ago ferric chloride when through the black ink ate holes in the copper traces. 35 years later has technology gotten better I want something that works good?

I Doubt anyone Sell an etching Kit.
It is Dangerous Chemicals and not likely legal to mail out.

What is the PCB you want to Etch?
If you have a Picture of it, Possibly I could etch one for you.

Elecrow.com or JLCPCB.com will make beautiful circuit boards for you in a jiffy at an incredible price. No hassle of ferric chloride permanently turning every it touches brown, or filling your lungs with crap while Dremeling copper off a board. Of course you'd have to use a board layout program to create Gerber files.

I Doubt anyone Sell an etching Kit.
It is Dangerous Chemicals and not likely legal to mail out.

In the US, Ferric Chloride solution is allowed in up to 5 Liter packages when transported on passenger aircraft, up to 60 Liter packages if transported on cargo aircraft, most common drums or IBCs can be used for ground transport.

Digikey mailed a pint bottle to me last month.

So, what made you think mailing chemicals is illegal?

I have no copper circuit boards and no ferric chloride and no Hydrochloric acid. I have not found a circuit board etch kit yet. I did fine copper boards on ebay from china it takes a month to get them.

Someone on ebay has old Radio Shack etch kit with no information, it does not tell if its and empty box or there is something inside the box. No reply from seller yet. Might be vintage collectors item.

Last time I used an etch kit 35 years ago ferric chloride when through the black ink ate holes in the copper traces. 35 years later has technology gotten better I want something that works good?

Here is an etch kit but for photo fab method.
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/mg-chemicals/416-K/416-K-ND/2232973

What are your requirements? Do you want to start with something cheap until you refresh your memory, or are you willing to spend more from the start?

It will be best to check your local electronics store, but I don't know what the price will be. Or you can ask at this site "CFCBazar.com" and they will find it for you from their suppliers, if its possible. Thats a service they offer "We find the product for you".

This is a cheap solution:
Maker(some say its not good to use a marker as it does not sticks).
http://www.cfcbazar.com/products/sm...cuit-board-ink-marker-double-pen-for-diy-pcb/

PCB material for etching:
http://www.cfcbazar.com/products/10...-laminate-circuit-board-7x10cm-free-shipping/

Etching solution:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/FREE...066.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.6b1b2e0eKfbO8S

Digikey has it all and it arrives in 2 or 3 days - shipped legally. Note that the buyer is responsible for any spills or leaks when buying from an offshore shipper. Always best to put the shipper on the hook for any leak and related damages - order from a US based supplier.

Ferric chloride solution $11
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/mg-chemicals/415-500ML/473-1387-ND/9657989

A whole range of copper clad Boards here, also Digikey.
https://www.digikey.com/products/en...ity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&pageSize=100

Use black "standard" or "industrial" sharpie. Do not use fabric, colors or washable or fine-point sharpies. They are all different inks and will not survive ferric chloride.

If you need a fine point marker, here is one at Digikey. I believe it is a Staetler brand marker.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/gc-electronics/22-0222/GC222-ND/90208

I just get the Hydrochloric Acid (Muriatic Acid) from any LOCAL Hardware Store and the Hydrogen Peroxide from the $ Store.
Works out to About $5.00 or $6.00 Canadian for a Imperial Gallon of Etchant. (Bigger than the US Gallon.)
No Fuss, No Staining and Quite Sure it is Cheaper than Ferric Chloride.

I use Ammonium Persulphate to etch - nice clear solution that doesn't corrode everything (not done it for many years due to cheap online PCB makers).

Mike.

Here is a Typical Artwork that I created to Photographically transfer onto the Coated Copper. The 88H is the number of Holes to Drill.
My-Falcon.png

I just get the Hydrochloric Acid (Muriatic Acid) from any LOCAL Hardware Store and the Hydrogen Peroxide from the $ Store.
Works out to About $5.00 or $6.00 Canadian for a Imperial Gallon of Etchant. (Bigger than the US Gallon.)
No Fuss, No Staining and Quite Sure it is Cheaper than Ferric Chloride.

I have muriatic acid already. I will buy some 1 side PC boards an try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back