Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What am I seeing here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiTan

I found this video titled: "Tesla Coil." No info on what's going on or it's faked or not.

**broken link removed**

For those with dialup, theres this huge mechanical spark gap that slides apart like a gate and a spark so bright it makes a lens flare. The arc snakes upward several feet and theres a big AC hum and an even louder sound I can't really describe. The spark cuts off real suddenly. Any ideas?

DigiTan said:
I found this video titled: "Tesla Coil." No info on what's going on or it's faked or not.

**broken link removed**

For those with dialup, theres this huge mechanical spark gap that slides apart like a gate and a spark so bright it makes a lens flare. The arc snakes upward several feet and theres a big AC hum and an even louder sound I can't really describe. The spark cuts off real suddenly. Any ideas?
once a spark starts , the air ionizes (also very hot) , it rises upwards , since the ionized air has very low resistance than normal , the arc continues to strike along the rising ionized air's path , that is why it looks twisted and curved.

I don't care about how old it is, I just wanna know what kind of facility this is and what they were testing. There aren't any landmarks or logos shown in the footage, so I can't find much info.

DigiTan said:
I don't care about how old it is, I just wanna know what kind of facility this is and what they were testing. There aren't any landmarks or logos shown in the footage, so I can't find much info.

I would imagine it's to do with HV power distribution?, transformers, pylons, breakers etc. looks like they are testing how much it takes before it breaks down :lol:

When I was at technical college my course was on the fourth floor, and there was a really cool room there - it looked like a set from a Frankenstein movie!. It had huge jacobs ladders, massive Walton Cockcroft multipliers, spark gaps 4 feet apart, and was (obviously) fenced off with a Faraday cage.

But the REALLY!!!!! annoying thing was, I never saw it in operation :cry:

Apparently in use it wiped out all TV reception in the town, so it was only very occasionally fired up.

The town is world famous for it's church spire, I wonder if the Frankenstein setup had anything to do with the shape of it's spire?, see the atteched photo!.

Attachments

• crooked_spire.jpg
    crooked_spire.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 296
Dr.EM said:
I saw this video not so long back on here:

**broken link removed**

It gives a good explaination. Quite a fascinating video I thought, cool sound too :D

that's the one!

if the OP had typed the keywords i'd suggested into google, that is the very first result returned, and it has a lengthy description of what is happening and why it's happening

i heard it was a high voltage switch opening but one phase didn't disconnect before they cut the power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back