Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wharfedale TV, how to disable integrated DVD player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fingaz

Hi all,

I have a 15" wharfedale TVwith integrated DVD player. The DVD player is faulty.

My son wants to use this as a display for the raspberry pi, but it keeps randomly switching to DVD. I have tried disconnecting the DVD drive, but it still does it.

Is there a way of disabling the drive on the firmware?
Is there another way to stop it from switching to DVD as the source?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Neil

Forgot to say, model number is L15T11W-C

Well Wharfdale don't make TV's, so it's actually a cheap Vestel set - and as far as I'm aware you can simply unplug the DVD player, and the TV works perfectly fine without it.

If you google for Vestel and the number off the main board inside (ignore any Wharfdale numbers) you should be able to find the service manual for it.

However, the fault doesn't sound like a problem with the DVD, more like a fault in the TV or remote, which is manually switching the TV to the DVD input.

As far as I recall, you can unplug the buttons on the set?, which might also unplug the remote sensor - so try that and see what happens. Some sets even have touch buttons, and these are nororious for causing problems.

Found it. Apparently it's a "haier" mst9e19b
Disconnected buttons on tv, completely removed DVD drive, and disconnected the IR receiver module. It no longer switches to DVD as the source.

Found it. Apparently it's a "haier" mst9e19b

Oh dear, they must have switched to Haier then, that's a shame as the Vestel ones were certainly better than Haier.

Disconnected buttons on tv, completely removed DVD drive, and disconnected the IR receiver module. It no longer switches to DVD as the source.

Now you need to find which bit was the problem. presumably you'd like some kind of control available? - I would try reconnecting the IR module, as it's less likely to be the problem, and more useful anyway.

I'll just reconnect the remote receiver first, and try it. If it's still working fine, try reconnecting the buttons.

I just begrudge throwing it away, when my son can use it for the raspberry pi (as long as this stops it switching source). He's using it with a kano image to try to learn about coding/software.

I'll just reconnect the remote receiver first, and try it. If it's still working fine, try reconnecting the buttons.

I just begrudge throwing it away, when my son can use it for the raspberry pi (as long as this stops it switching source). He's using it with a kano image to try to learn about coding/software.

TV's with built-on DVD are a complete disaster, invariably the DVD packs up - and a replacement DVD mech (if you could even get one - unlikely for Haier) would cost an extortionate amount (likely to be well over £100). So you see a lot of cheap DVD Players plugged in them once the DVD has died.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back