Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

weller soldering station or just iron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-bro

hey all, i'm about to get me a weller... station or iron i dont know yet. so i need help. is it better for me (i'm building some hobby and small circuits nothing big for now) to get a station or just an iron?? some advice plz :)

hey all, i'm about to get me a weller... station or iron i dont know yet. so i need help. is it better for me (i'm building some hobby and small circuits nothing big for now) to get a station or just an iron?? some advice plz :)

I'm using a weller wes51 Been a good iron so far. Back when I worked in a electronics shop we had them on 10hrs a day. We just had to keep replacing the tips when they became heat stressed.

I think the one I have now was under $60.00us.

kv

I'm using a Weller WES51 also, which is what I started using in school - I looked at a lot of less expensive ones, but for a piece of equipment that so important, I decided not to mess around. I would definitely recommend the WES51 since I've never used anything else except the cheap Radioshack irons.

Biggest thing about an iron is the dumb wire gets in the way. With a station the station weights down the wire so it doesn't try and hang everywhere.

Is the station adjustable heat? That'd be the ideal from what I am told.

Meanwhile my little Weller pencil iron has served me well for years now. Amazing how much better my solder joints are with a decent iron.

I've never seen a station that wasn't adjustable heat. But the pencil I have is adjustable heat too.

I just use one of these units pictured below. I never have to worry about not having enough wattage. However I seem to have destroyed a good many IC chips and MOSFETs, etc. It could be from current surges and heat. Hmmm.;)

**broken link removed**

soldering iron

I just use one of these units pictured below. I never have to worry about not having enough wattage. However I seem to have destroyed a good many IC chips and MOSFETs, etc. It could be from current surges and heat. Hmmm.;)

**broken link removed**

Didn't you get the surface mount attachment?:D

**broken link removed**
Try grounding it, that should help with your issue of frying MOSFETs. ;)

Only if you have no skill. Otherwise it would look like a perfect welded joint with no distinction between trace and pin.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back