Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Well, this is just about the dumbest thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last time I bought a bag of shelled pistachio's I looked at the nutritional information, just seeing the letters on the bag made me almost have a heart attack =\ 1 cup has 700 calories and close to 90% of your daily fat intake. And that doesn't even include the massive amount of salt most come with

Last edited:
I am not allergic to nuts per say, but they always make my throat feel itchy. Don't know why. Cucumbers same thing.

Cucumbers? Those things are like nothing but water.

The last time I bought a bag of shelled pistachio's I looked at the nutritional information, just seeing the letters on the bag made me almost have a heart attack =\ 1 cup has 700 calories and close to 90% of your daily fat intake. And that doesn't even include the massive amount of salt most come with

The salt is skipable, and the other numbers just mean don't overdo it. As far as a snack food goes it beats the snot out of a lot that's available. When I get extra calories I just work them off, and at least these aren't empty calories. The fatty acids and cholesterols are good ones.

Now, if you combine them with honey and good pastry you might wind up with baclava. Baclava is so rich that I can't eat it very often. . .and so good that I wouldn't want to spoil the treat by doing so.

Torben

I think the distinction between peanuts and "Nuts" Is that peanuts are seeds contained in a sutured shell the breaks open to disperse the seed. Nuts are fruits that have hard shells which do not open for seed dispersal, rather the seed within the nut must be dispersed by animal ingestion or other mechanical means. Brazil nuts and Almonds are also not classified as nuts. Those taxonomist are nit picky.

It might be interesting to note, that many fruit bearing bodies containing seeds cannot be germinated in soil unless they have been ingested by an animal. The HCl of the stomach seems to remove a coating around the embryo that allows it to germinate.
It seems this is a way for the plant to propagate across a large area. Animal poop.

I find this fascinating. Here in California we have seeds that will not germinate unless exposed to fire or smoke. Interesting I think, how Mother nature works...:)

Last edited:
I am not allergic to nuts per say, but they always make my throat feel itchy. Don't know why. Cucumbers same thing.

Blue freezies do that to me. They always make me cough. Who knows what on earth is in those things though.

I get a weird effect about halfway through a Nong Shim Bowl Noodle Hot. I'm not sure if it's the spice or some other weird chemical in there, but at some point my throat gets kind of paralyzed and won't swallow right. It sends things up my nose instead of down my throat. I don't eat it much anymore. :)

Torben

Nong Shim Bowl Noodle Hot. what is that? Never heard of a blue freeze either.

Nong Shim Bowl Noodle Hot. what is that? Never heard of a blue freeze either.

Nong Shim Bowl Noodle Hot & Spicy

Freezies are a thing which is big in Canada in the summer but I don't know about the US. It's a plastic tube about 10" long filled with a sugary flavored and coloured slush. The blue ones make me cough.

Torben

On that note, I must have a peanut butter sandwich and go to bed. :)

Last edited:
The thing I don't understand is how come there are so many people with peanut allergies today.

When I was growing up, we never heard such a thing. Schools had peanut butter everywhere.....never a problem.

Did diets change, or was it just not recognized as a peanut allergy back then?

I also think some parents go a bit overboard today.

Last edited:
I have often wondered about packets of nuts which are given out with the drinks on aircraft.

I am sure the lawyers back at base have given this one some thought, also the bean counters.
What if someone were to go into anaphylactic (spelling?) shock at 30,000feet?
The cost of a diversion or return to departure airport?
The cost of being sued by ambulance chasing lawyers?

Having said all that, I like the nuts. British Airways Macademia nuts are a favourite of mine. OK I know they are not peanuts but some airlines do have peanuts, even BA on some routes, if I remember correctly.

JimB

Last edited:
The tree nut allergy is a separate protein =\
I even find that hard to believe because different tree nuts are completely different.

For example the almond is prunus which is related to plums, peaches and apricots so does this mean if you're allergic to almonds you're also allergic to plums, peaches apricots, etc?

Does the same go for walnuts and pecans which are also related?

I can't believe that just because you're allergic to walnuts you'll also be allergic to almonds, pine nuts, almonds etc. as they're completely different species of tree and probably have totally different proteins.

I say take all of the allergy warnings off all foods. Let natural selection do its job! ;)

Back in the old days you had food you could eat and food you could not eat. This list was different for every one.

I feel taking every possible thing that anyone could possibly be allergic to out of society is just stupid! :mad:
It starts with warning lables and eventualy someones going to get a big enough lobby group formed and they will get everything pulled off the shelf that can even remotely cause an allergy. :mad:

Just my opinoin.

Wow, I thought I was the only one that liked those noodles =\ One of my favorite quick lunches => Same brand and everything.

Just for you kchriste.
Notice the gluten warning as well =) VERY paranoid company.
LOL! I knew there would be a label like that somewhere. They should also have warned us that eating can cause weight gain. :rolleyes:
tcmtech said:
I feel taking every possible thing that anyone could possibly be allergic to out of society is just stupid!
It has gotten pretty ridiculous. Some of the parental paranoia is actually harmful. It has been found that the obsession with antibacterial soaps, etc has created a generation with weakened immune systems due to lack of exposure to harmless bacteria. It wouldn't surprise me if the increase in the number of allergic kids is due to something similar.

It's actually partially medicines fault that people get sicker as a whole. If we didn't know how to stop people with life threatening illnesses from getting worse and prolonging their life (hence chances for breeding) those genetic lines would gradually die out. Medicine is exceedingly good at prolonging the life of sick people but incredibly slow at actually coming up with cures for the root causes of those sicknesses. However simply denying sick people treatment is the moral equivalent of genocide.

It's called evolution =) Genetic's don't stay the same long. Massive environmental changes and the fact that the body doesn't adapt very quickly lead to all sorts of problems.

With the way population growth is going I doubt it's gonna be that nice =) It's only a matter of time before mother nature makes some drastic corrections. I don't mean to sound too much like a pessimist, but it's just a matter of time, this generation, next, 10 or more who knows, however at some point there is going to be a natural 'correction' and the human race isn't gonna much like it.

It's actually partially medicines fault that people get sicker as a whole. If we didn't know how to stop people with life threatening illnesses from getting worse and prolonging their life (hence chances for breeding) those genetic lines would gradually die out. Medicine is exceedingly good at prolonging the life of sick people but incredibly slow at actually coming up with cures for the root causes of those sicknesses. However simply denying sick people treatment is the moral equivalent of genocide.

Take penicillin for example, without it most of the sex junkies would have died off from STD's.

Without aspirin the population would be much smaller as all the women would have a headache.

Your assuming the life threatening illness is genetic, but in many cases it is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back