Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Welding transformer made from fridge compressor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diver300

Most Helpful Member
I just came across this:-
I'm very sceptical, on for two reasons.
Firstly, the magnetic field from the windings will be across the space for the armature, not along its axis.
Secondly, with so little iron in the armature space, there would be so little inductance in the field winding that it would take far too much current with no load and the winding would overheat very quickly.

Any other thoughts?

Yep, total scam.

The supposed secondary windings are in the wrong axis.
The secondary wire looks to be either 2.5 or 4mm^2 so not rated anywhere near high enough current to support the welding it's supposedly doing; it would be burning up within seconds.

And note the jump in the video between showing him connecting the electrode holder and starting to weld: The connection end of the electrode holder is then permanently out of frame, presumably as it is connected to a real welder, with the ground from the underside of the chunk of metal via a hole through the bench.

It seemed to be a lot of work to go for something that is rubbish. He could have rewound a microwave transformer just as easily.
All the scammers seem to go to just as much trouble - the point isn't to create a working welder, but to make people waste their time trying to make a non-working one like his.

All the scammers seem to go to just as much trouble - the point isn't to create a working welder, but to make people waste their time trying to make a non-working one like his.
I don't think they care if anybody actually tries to build whatever they pitch – what they want is the clicks. Number of views counts with YouTube and advertisers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back