Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Website help - Advice greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

911electronic

Hello guys,

I'm sorry if this question looks like advertisement... but it's not. I just want to be kind that's why first I would like to introduce myself.
Nice to meet you all, my name is Tom, i'm 22 years old electronic student. Me and my friend started electronics related website about one month ago. Electronics is our passion - that's why we keep building the site. The reason that I'm writing here is I'm not superhuman and I don't know everything. That is why I would like to ask You guys for some advice or constructive criticism about this website: MOD EDIT because You are longer in "this game" than me :) Every "human" word will be greatly appreciated. We are motivated to add new site content, because we have lots of our private notes and books. Thank You all in advance for great help.

Have a nice day, Tom

Just because you don't think its advertising... You have sponsors on your site that appreciate the traffic... If you must link in a website that privilege is for members with 25+ posts... You may then include a link in the signature!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, right now your website is the Wikipedia of a a diode and it isn't bad. There's no doubt that you want traffic.

You won't get anywhere unless you add a few meta tags or keywords. Take a look at the html source of the main page for some popular sites like digikey, newark, here etc for clue.

Thank you for your reply and advice. I really appreciate it. And yeah... for sure it looks like a diode wiki, because first i wanted to "get rid" of "diode" category then move to next one like transistors -> bipolar and unipolar. Then write more about e.g resistors, capacitors. But yeah... with only one category the site looks "dry". To be honest I got tired of searching websites for element specifications and descriptions. We (me and my friend) decided to put everything together and start our own knowledge base :) More advices will be greatly appreciated and yeah site traffic would be great because we would know better what we should write about... What people need at the moment, so we could help not only ourselves. We have lots of personal notes in notebooks, books etc... so "ideas" aren't any problem... Ahh.. finally... Sorry for long post but I had to let the steam out of me :) Any other advices would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again.

Welcome to ETO!
Are you re-inventing the wheel? ;). Have you checked the Electronics Theory articles and the Tools, both tabbed on this site?

I just checked your web site. First, it loads extremely slowly. Google Chrome typically timed out, but eventually I was lucky enough to get it to load.

Is the site just for teaching electronics or is it also a political platform for you? I am referring specifically to your article on armed drones, which was the only section I could read before I had to try to reload your site unsuccessfully.

Here's just one paragraph from that article:
upload_2015-9-1_7-22-4.png

I find your writing style difficult to read. As for content, a more balanced discussion should have included the role of the FAA in regulating drones and how they are used.

John

alec: They seem to have a different flare. More of a concise description without all of the underlying math.

maybe "Components 000.", "Components 101"

Way Wat=y back in the 70's, I did some writing of readability analysis. See: https://www.readabilityformulas.com/free-readability-formula-tests.php

I really think the stuff would get good remarks. Think of it as Wikipedia with a lower target age.

I "could" see it branching with more age appropriate material.

Ask the user, how difficult the material was and either go forward or back in explanations or go on an entirely different track to learn background information.

I see something in the webpage, but not as it stands. Combine readability analysis and age appropriate education and a way to "zero in" on the level of understanding.

e.g.

The diode lets current flow in one direction.
The diode has a voltage drop.
The diode has leakage current.

Each one of those statements build on each other.

I think it MAY have merit if you could zero in on the level of understanding to the point that Wikipedia becomes understandable.

Use the readability score to select a page. Use age. Use math. Use questions.

Think of a way to explain a diode to a first grader to a college student and cover the needed materials you need along the way, but you can start anywhere and guided by your responses. A few responses create the starting point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back