Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Weather proofing the DS1621 thermometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric Rain

Quick question about the DS1621 thermometer. If I'm measuring outside temperature, how am I supposed to protect this IC from the weather?

Thanks,

Rain

Electric Rain said:
Quick question about the DS1621 thermometer. If I'm measuring outside temperature, how am I supposed to protect this IC from the weather?

External weather instruments are classically kept in slat sided housings, painted white - you don't want it in the wind where it will be cooled, the housing would also keep the sensor safe from the elements.

Hey, thanks Nigel! I wasn't even thinking of that! That's just the kind of answer I was looking for.

I'm having a bit of a problem though, I can't find any boxes small enough to fit the IC without to much extra space, that are cheap enough and vented. It's just going to be the IC in a socket with a 4-pin RJ-11 jack, in the box. So what should I do about that? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rain

Edit: Should I create my own vents on a box that will be small enough? If so, how should I create the vents? :?

Electric Rain said:
Hey, thanks Nigel! I wasn't even thinking of that! That's just the kind of answer I was looking for.

I'm having a bit of a problem though, I can't find any boxes small enough to fit the IC without to much extra space, that are cheap enough and vented. It's just going to be the IC in a socket with a 4-pin RJ-11 jack, in the box. So what should I do about that? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rain

Edit: Should I create my own vents on a box that will be small enough? If so, how should I create the vents? :?

You could practice your woodworking skills :lol:

The only one's I've ever had dealings with were back at junior school, back then we obviously used mercury thermometers, which displayed maximum and minimum readings. There were also other devices in the same housing, so it was fairly large, probably 2 feet square or perhaps slightly more - I'm trying to remember back something like 40 years!.

how about a small segment of PVC pipe...

using 1/2" cpvc (the smallest yellow stuff), I'd take a cap and crazy glue the thermometer to the inside of it, with leads attached to the rj11 jack.

then fit the cap over a piece of pipe, maybe 3/4" long, depending on the size of you rj11 jack, wrap it with electrical tape so it forms a solid "plug" in the open end of the pipe.

for ventialtion, using a drill press or free-hand with a vise, drill a few holes into the pipe on at least a 45° angle so rain can't easily make it in.

quick coat of white spray paint, and you've got an enclosure that cost around 50 cents

glmclell said:
how about a small segment of PVC pipe...

using 1/2" cpvc (the smallest yellow stuff), I'd take a cap and crazy glue the thermometer to the inside of it, with leads attached to the rj11 jack.

then fit the cap over a piece of pipe, maybe 3/4" long, depending on the size of you rj11 jack, wrap it with electrical tape so it forms a solid "plug" in the open end of the pipe.

for ventialtion, using a drill press or free-hand with a vise, drill a few holes into the pipe on at least a 45° angle so rain can't easily make it in.

quick coat of white spray paint, and you've got an enclosure that cost around 50 cents

Hey, that's a great idea glmclell! Thanks a lot. The things I had in my head were going to cost so much more. :lol:

Sebi said:
I not recommend the RJ11 for outdoor use. I have bad experience with it.

Yeah, me too. I had to have a phone line running along the side of my house to get a line to my computer modem. No cords were long enough. Even one I made. So I had to use the standard RJ-11 couplers for it. And no matter how much duct tape and electric tape I put on it, the thing was still rusting. :lol:

But, what I think I'll do, is put the RJ-11 jack a few inches in the pipe, like the sensor. So it will also be protected from the rain.

I want to use the RJ-11 because in has the exact nuber of pins I need, (4) and the cords for them are pre-made, cheap, easy to find, and come in different lengths.

Because of the fact that I will be sending a few of these out to family members, I want to be able to tell them, that they can go to Wal-Mart, and pick out the length of cord they need for wherever they're going to put it. :lol: Know what I mean?

Anyway, do you think this will be ok guys? Thanks a lot for your help.

Rain

P.S. If it help you guys understand what I'm going to build. Here's the site: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Launchpad/3632/pc_therm.htm

Electric Rain said:
Yeah, me too. I had to have a phone line running along the side of my house to get a line to my computer modem. No cords were long enough. Even one I made. So I had to use the standard RJ-11 couplers for it. And no matter how much duct tape and electric tape I put on it, the thing was still rusting. :lol:

You need to use the right tool for the job, neither electrical tape or duct tape are designed for water proofing.

What you need is "self amalgamating tape", it's not sticky, but you stretch it tight around the joint and it bonds to itself - creating a single piece of rubber around the joint. Because it's under tension (due to the stretching) it makes a really nice watertight seal on the wires.

It's commonly used for sealing satellite dish connections - I've replaced 10 year old LNB's, cutting the tape off with a knife, and it's absolutely brand new underneath.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Electric Rain said:

You need to use the right tool for the job, neither electrical tape or duct tape are designed for water proofing.

What you need is "self amalgamating tape", it's not sticky, but you stretch it tight around the joint and it bonds to itself - creating a single piece of rubber around the joint. Because it's under tension (due to the stretching) it makes a really nice watertight seal on the wires.

It's commonly used for sealing satellite dish connections - I've replaced 10 year old LNB's, cutting the tape off with a knife, and it's absolutely brand new underneath.

Wow... that seems like some pretty strong stuff! I'll keep it in mind. But for this project, I won't need it. And I now have DSL so I don't need the second line anymore. I've also moved my computer to a different spot only a few feet from a wall jack.

Hi!

Did you have a chance to make one from PVC? Have any pictures of the finished product?

I'm still waiting on my order to be fulfilled on some ds18b20's - figure on putting one outside the window near my computer

Eeeheh... I might not be doing it for a bit. My budget's pretty tight. But I do have some idea's that I can share with you if you like.

Rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back