Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Way to Light A candle

Status
Not open for further replies.

yojo77

Dear All......
I am working on something where a candle needs to be lit electronically, one of the ideas i got was to use nicrome wire which will get hot and (maybe) light it, i was just curious to get some ideas from you all?

thx for the help

interesting project.... do you have to turn it off as well?

To get enough heat to light a candle you will be setting nearby furniture on fire too. You really need a direct flame to start a candle.

I would suggest if it is a one shot deal, tape a match head to your resistive wire or if you have to light over and over use a gas/electric ignition setup.

A good one shot electronic solution would be a through hole 10 ohm 1/4 watt resistor across 12v, they used to flame up good and to put the candle out try a 220 uF caps across the mains. :lol:

yes i have to extinguish the light but i dont have to do that electronically, a simple falling object or something would work...if you have suggestions for that too, i will take em

congrats dingo,

hehe, i love the idea of extinguisher :p

Light a candle

No, I do not need to relight the candle after it is extinguished.

You can get some pyrotechnic ignition 'sparks' to ignite fireworks, this could be used. But to light a candle requires a suprising amount of energy over a long time. If you saoked the wick in lighter fuel, then attached a "spark", this might light it. Seems like it might be a bit hit and miss tho.

I'm not sure if you can buy 'sparks' in shops, but i gues they use similar things for model rocket engine remote ignition? Ask in your local model shop!

You may be better off simulating a candle with a 'almost striking' neon tube. (You can buy these from most lighting shops) this would be far more reliable. And can be easily turned on and off!

As for extinguishing, I'll have a think.

Paul

Igniter

I would also say use an igniter from a hobby rocket . Dropping things on said item may give rise to melted wax going everywhere and if the flame is not extinguished you may have some fun on your hands. Nothing better than a little nawaxpalm sticking to ya..

What project do you have in mind?

Above all, don't burn your peepee or me or one of my associates will knock down your door and give you a drink from Mr. Firehose.

Resc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back