Wave Voltage change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingpin094

Need to change a 0-5v square wave in to a 0-12v square wave. I could do it with an opamp
but was hoping there was an easier way(i.e. less parts).

Tried to use a transistor but realized that it was not going to give an
off value of 0 volts
and there was to much of a drop accross the transistor.

Anyone got any ideas.

Kingpin094 said:
Less then .5v for the low and at least +10v for the high.
What are you going to do with this 0-12v signal? Does it have to drive a load? If so, what is the load?

I am taking the output of a PIC microcontroller to drive a CMOS circuit that is running of 12V.
The CMOS chip is part of a motor drive circuit. There will be almost no load on the circuit.

Kingpin094 said:
I am taking the output of a PIC microcontroller to drive a CMOS circuit that is running of 12V.
The CMOS chip is part of a motor drive circuit. There will be almost no load on the circuit.

A simple NPN transistor is all you require, connect the emitter to 0V, the base via a 1K to the I/O pin, and the collector via a load resistor to 12V. A fully switched on transistor drops far less than 0.5V.

You could also use the open-collector output on the PIC (usually RA4), it just requires a pull-up resistor - it's provided for this very purpose!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…