Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wave Voltage change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingpin094

Need to change a 0-5v square wave in to a 0-12v square wave. I could do it with an opamp
but was hoping there was an easier way(i.e. less parts).

Tried to use a transistor but realized that it was not going to give an
off value of 0 volts
and there was to much of a drop accross the transistor.

Anyone got any ideas.

Kingpin094 said:
Less then .5v for the low and at least +10v for the high.
What are you going to do with this 0-12v signal? Does it have to drive a load? If so, what is the load?

I am taking the output of a PIC microcontroller to drive a CMOS circuit that is running of 12V.
The CMOS chip is part of a motor drive circuit. There will be almost no load on the circuit.

Kingpin094 said:
I am taking the output of a PIC microcontroller to drive a CMOS circuit that is running of 12V.
The CMOS chip is part of a motor drive circuit. There will be almost no load on the circuit.

A simple NPN transistor is all you require, connect the emitter to 0V, the base via a 1K to the I/O pin, and the collector via a load resistor to 12V. A fully switched on transistor drops far less than 0.5V.

You could also use the open-collector output on the PIC (usually RA4), it just requires a pull-up resistor - it's provided for this very purpose!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back