Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wave Genarators

Status
Not open for further replies.

budginut

Hey all those in the know:)

I looking at doing some fun experiments and am looking for a wave generator that will to a variety of wave forms (sine,square,sawtooth etc.) i need to be able to vary the frequency of the the waves with fine adjustments eg. not stepped 20 kHz, 40kHz and so on. also I'd like it to produce frequencies from say 100hz up to saw 1Ghz.

So that's the easy part the hard part is I need variable voltage and amperage control. I need to vary both feeding into my experiments and that's where I getting stuck when I try to find what I need.

Please if there is anyone out there that can at least point me in the right direction please do so.

Cheers

Last edited:
Simple Multi-Function Generator

By changing the last stage -2X amp to amplifier of your choice you can vary the output voltage.

I'm not sure how to vary the current output though, other than by changing the generated frequency.

Check out the Java Circuit Simulator @ www.falstad.com/circuit/. For example, to see how to create a sawtooth waveform go to Circuits>Opamps>Oscillators>Sawtooth Wave Generators. You can also use Sawtooth Wave Generators to produce duty-cycle controlled square wave outputs. You can vary the component parts or replace resistors with potentiometers on this simulator and observe the effects before you build your circuit.

Good luck, you're going to have a pretty hard time soldering all this together if you want all those properties to work on one board. Make sure to have a negative power supply feeding your opamps (-) supply.

Last edited:
100hz to 1ghz? Not asking for much are you? Even professional function generators don't usually go up to 1ghz, you might wanna set your sites a little lower. You can easily do audio frequencies, 20-20khz. Just use an audio amplifier, you can use audio software to create any arbitrary waveform you want and the volume control is amplitude. What exactly are you trying to do where you need 1ghz?

I need it to conduct a series of experiments on electrolysis.

I've found some function generators that will do the frequency range I'd like but I want to be able to vary the voltage and amperage feeding into the experiment to find the ideal setting for what I want, some were up to $2,000 or more!

Am i able to run an AC signal into an amplifier and increase the voltage and amperage that way without changing the signal?

Cheers

PS not a scam, just need help being pointed in the right direction. I appreciate any and all help :)

I think some one needs help in another way, if a function gnerator thats goes up to 1 GHz costs $ 2000 how much do you think ti will cost to make one ? assuming you have the knowledge (as a start you seem to think that you can have any frequency you like as easy as anything)

Last edited:
If you want 100hz to 1ghz, you're stuck paying the money, there is no 'cheap' way to do what you're asking.

Hey...I am also looking for a circuit to help me generate sine, square, triangular wave forms...
I am kinda new to all this and a little lost...help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey...I am also looking for a circuit to help me generate sine, square, triangular wave forms...
I am kinda new to all this and a little lost...help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Since you are new and since you are lost then buy a function generator kit that uses the XR2206 IC.

A PC sound card pretty well as a function generator for audio frequencies, which is useful for many things.

Generating such a range is getting more feasible, scrap the function generator chips, go DDS. The AD9912 DDS with a 1GHz clock can directly generate 4uHz to 400MHz. Output over frequency is almost dead flat with a few dB of rolloff at the high end.

Can't see a problem getting a few dBm, providing amperage over this frequency range is going to be a challenge though..

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back