Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Washer Machine Calc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Hey I have a little project i want to do but due to the high current am sort of tempted to gather more info. I want to switch a washer machine off/on using a PIC. Ill give my reason at the end.

I went online and found a typical washer machine uses 500 Watts. Now to get the amp usage i did

500 watts / 120v = 4.16A so would be it safe to assume thats how i calculate the amount of amps it uses?

So to make a pic switch it i would need a relay that can handle 120v @ 4.5A minimum right?

To turn on the relay i would think it would be safe to use one of those infrared transistor things i forgot the name. Phototransistor i think?

I like this:
Multi-Channel Full-Pitch Phototransistor Optocoupler

Which can be bought for like $0.40 @
ACPL-827-000E|Multi-Channel Full-Pitch Phototransistor | Newark.com

and

This for a relay. Would be ok?

**broken link removed**

This is based on if my washer machine is using the typical. If not i will adjust parts. But would i go about this situation like this? Would this be how i calc and gather info for doing this project?

My Reason:
I have relatives that come over on daily bases and they are always using my machine and my soap and everything ... next thing you know i have to buy more. Im tired but dont want to be disrespectful to them so i want to make this switcher which i will had a remote to also. So i can turn it of wireless-ly and turn it on the same.

i have to check mines later on today after its not in use :( ill post new info and calculations when i have the info and hopefully i can get someone to tell me if its correct so i dont kill myself :D

hi atom,

Why dont you jumper across the washer On/Off switch with relay contacts, this switch will most likely be 'lowish' current, controlling the internal programmer On/Off.?

when you check for current draw make sure the tub is full of water, it'll take more current loaded than it would unloaded. Also most machines are two speed, agitate and spin, some do this with a gearbox and a single speed motor.

i found some info its

120v-60Hz / 11.5A that would make it: 1380 watts. Wow what a difference.
Model: CAV2005AWW

I still have to wait until its not in use to do testing on the actual switch.

Tapping into the low voltage/current control might be the least complicated route.

You could also look at contactors, like are used in industrial settings.

Grainger Industrial Supply

Not real expensive and you could use the PCB mount relay to control the contactor coil.

I have a control here at work that uses a PIC to switch a huge 3 phase motor :D Pic - darlington - relay - contactor

Last edited:
My Reason:
I have relatives that come over on daily bases and they are always using my machine and my soap and everything
Hopefully they don't call a repairman when you are away and stick you with the bill. :rolleyes:
I like the idea of breaking the wire to the start switch with some relay contacts.
Another idea is to lockout the breaker panel. This is done in an industrial setting where dangerous equipment is being worked on.

I live in a apartment and the washer is in the kitchen and tied to a few things so if i turn off breaker then no good...

Um im hardly away and its relatives that are the issue not people who live here :D who ever lives here will be able to turn it on. I might make it that 1 wire thing. That would rock!

Instead of preventing the washer to turn ON, it is better to let it run for a few minutes and then stopped all together.

Your relatives will thank you big time for all the wet clothing soaked with washing powder and requires further manual washing and drying. Bet he/she will never try it again.

Your excuses is also easy. "Yeah, the washer has been acting up sometimes. Tough."

L.Chung nice idea... that would be cool. I want it wireless so i can like bang the side of the washer some times (acting as if it fixes it) and have it shut on and off for a few minutes.

so i say "heh its been acting up and sometime i have to bang it up to make it work but then it stops again. if i was you i would rather goto a laundromat. sorry tho"

lol

Maybe a more indecent way and witout touching the relays is to cut the voltage that feeds the entire control panel, after some minutes. I don't know if this is unhealty for the components, but it gives a more genuine looking failure and you don't have to mess around modifying the PCB to turn off the motor

To disarm "the bomb", the user (you) push a secret switch that disengages the timer before it shuts down the panel

Why you don't post a picture of the washer, and the panel back side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back