Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Warble or sweep AF generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boncuk

Hi,

I'm working at a project to open gates automatically. When I was about designing an alarm circuit to indicate emergency power cut-off in case the gate is jammed I got the idea that a sweeped tone won't be overheared easily.

I found chips for telephone ringers, but they are single tone only. (The same can be done making a gated oscillator circuit using a CD4093).

Is there any IC out there which is easy to use?

Regards

Boncuk

You can make either of the warble or sweep oscillators using 2 gates of your cd4093. Set 1 gate up for the high frequency (carrier) and 1 gate for the low freq (modulator) oscillator. Connect the inputs of 1 oscillator to the other using a resistor, this will modulate the frequency of the high frequency osc.

The resistor connecting the 2 oscillators should have a higher value than the feedback resistors on each oscillator.

You can make either of the warble or sweep oscillators using 2 gates of your cd4093. Set 1 gate up for the high frequency (carrier) and 1 gate for the low freq (modulator) oscillator. Connect the inputs of 1 oscillator to the other using a resistor, this will modulate the frequency of the high frequency osc.

The resistor connecting the 2 oscillators should have a higher value than the feedback resistors on each oscillator.

Thanks Doug,

I tried that already. Sounds awefully ugly. :D

Boncuk

It's not ugly and it works.

You could instead use 2 555s or a 556 to produce the 2 oscillators. The output of the low freq one is fed through an RC into the control input of the high freq one. This also works and is not ugly.

Last edited:
Radioshack used to have a horrible-sounding people detector at its entrance/exit. It produce square-waves like electric guitar fuzz and did not sound like a smooth chime. It was DING-DONG!

The one's around here still do. Grates on my ears something fierce, one more reason NOT to go into a Radio Shack =)

The one's around here still do. Grates on my ears something fierce, one more reason NOT to go into a Radio Shack =)

About the same as with 7-11 shops in Thailand. They all use the same signal when a customer enters or leaves. :)

Radioshack used to have a horrible-sounding people detector at its entrance/exit. It produce square-waves like electric guitar fuzz and did not sound like a smooth chime. It was DING-DONG!

Dang! I can still here that thing just in my thoughts!
Guess that means I am not able to withstand sublimenal mind control after all. :(

You could also get one of the DTMF generator chips. They produce sine wave output, without the buzz. If you press two keys, you get a single frequency (rather than the usual two frequency mix), from which several different tones can be generated. You can alternate between them for warble. Simple. No chirp, though.

I've tried a lot of the suggested circuits and still they sound ugly.

How about that? It's supposed to simulate warship alert. (starts at low frequency and winds up to max - silence - restart).

Anyone tried that yet?

Boncuk

Attachments

• WARSHIP-ALERT.gif
    WARSHIP-ALERT.gif
    10.6 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
And this is where I come in and say 'use a micro controller' =)

And this is where I come in and say 'use a micro controller' =)

Convinced. :D

With the latest schematic I posted there is a problem. Whenever the trigger output of timer1 is connected to the control voltage pin of timer2, timer1 quits oscillating. :(

Boncuk

Does it really matter if the tone is annoying if it sounds only when the gate is jammed?

It matters a lot to me. :)

Being perfectionist also an alarm tone should have good quality - not like a screaming barn gate.

Boncuk

I'm with mneary now =\ If you want someone to notice your alarm you gotta make it irritating.

Being perfectionist also an alarm tone should have good quality

Audiophile? Or OCD type? :p:D

Arnt warning alarms by design supposed to be annoying and unpleasant to the ear? :confused:
Its what makes you take notice and correct the problem!

If industrial equipment back up alarms played your favorite song in 7.1 suround sound at the perfect volume would you still jump out of the way so quikely?

Audiophile? Or OCD type? :p:D

Sorry, what's OCD?

Arnt warning alarms by design supposed to be annoying and unpleasant to the ear? :confused:
Its what makes you take notice and correct the problem!

I guess an alarm just has to be an unusual sound.

If industrial equipment back up alarms played your favorite song in 7.1 suround sound at the perfect volume would you still jump out of the way so quikely?

I only know of 5.1 surround sound until now. I also won't jump out of the way. Even battle tanks give me the right of way. :D

Boncuk

Hi, Boncuk,
I've just joined on here "Hi" are those People detectors, still available? if so where can I get one please.?
And did you mange to get your sweep Generator completed?
cheers
vortex2009

OCD = Obsessive compulsive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back