Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wanted: Obsolete Component LED Rectangular Light Bars

Status
Not open for further replies.
P1010523.JPG
Hi.
The similar types I have are on the picture attached.

Curiosity got the better of me. May I ask which show the prop came from? Do you have a picture of the prop?

Mike.

The prop is from Quantum Leap. I have many reference photos, here's one of the better ones:
PropPhoto01front4-02-(54)-PlayBall.jpg

There were at least three "hero" copies of the prop used in scenes when it might be visible in close-up, and each was just different enough to be identifiable. Modifications, damage and repairs are also noticeable, so one with a good eye for detail can track some aspects of how each prop changed over time. For example, in this behind-the-scenes photo taken during the show's run, slightly above and left of center on this copy of the prop are opaque yellow and orange plastic tiles. In earlier episodes, this same prop had transparent tiles of similar colors in those locations. As the same prop existed in 2009 at a convention display, the yellow opaque tile in this photo was missing.

One aspect that may not be completely obvious in the photo above is that about 50% of the prop is transparent enough that light can go all the way through it. In some places, colors on opposite sides differ so that when backlit, the prop seems to change colors or parts of it seem to be colors that it really isn't.

Here's a screen grab showing transparency, and some of the LEDs lit:
Screenshot5-01-(75)-LeeHarveyOswald01.jpg

I believe this is NOT the same prop as the first photo. For one thing, the yellow and orange tiles that are opaque above are transparent here, but this is a later episode than when the first photo was taken. Since the prop in the first photo still exists and is known to still have the opaque orange tile, it doesn't make sense that it would have been changed from transparent>opaque>transparent>opaque. Also, one of the round brass dots (each pair of which was reportedly a functional touch switch) is in a slightly different position.

Last edited:
What you will do of these leds??

I want to make an exact replica of the prop shown in post #24. The majority of the front of the prop is formed by gluing together clusters of LEDs of the styles shown in post #1.

In fact, there were at least six different LED styles used to make the prop. But two of those styles are still made, and another two of them are made in modern versions that are only slightly different from the originals. However, the majority of the prop was built from the remaining two styles which are apparently no longer made and now rather scarce. These are the LEDs I seek.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back