Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wanted: Medical sensor isolation circuit using optocoupler

Status
Not open for further replies.

quietmedic

Hey all. I'm looking for an isolation circuit for the device described on this page: The Story of My ECG.

Basically, it is a simple EKG (electrocardiograph) that interfaces with your computer sound card via standard 1/8" audio, and obtains your readings via 3 custom electrode leads placed on patient's chest.

As the author himself states, the unit is generally safe BUT in event of some catastrophic series of failures, there is nothing preventing your 120V AC from inadvertently transmitting down the electrode lead, potentially killing the patient. He suggests a linear optocoupler for isolation, but does not post one.

So: would anyone be kind enough to suggest a simple analog linear optocoupler circuit that can be used for this project? (I know basic electronics but am nowhere near good enough to design a real circuit based on the datasheets for typical stuff like the LOC110)...perhaps there are already circuits of this type on this forum or online...just don't know where to look or what would have the proper specs for this application.

Thanks in advance for any help..

I suggest you shouldn't buiild this unless it's only for fun - medical equipment needs special approval before it can be used.

I don't know for certain weather a linear optocoupler is physically realizable. I have my doubts. The other possibility is using a pulse transformer.

Many semiconductor companies specifically prohibit the use of their components in medical electronic devices unless you obtain special permission from them to do so.

It certainly can be realized, but the optical isolator would just be one component in such an application. This application is dealing with very low signal levels and has to be designed with low noise and high common noise rejection.

Because of the low signal strength there will most likely have to be some amplification performed before routing the signal with enough voltage/current required for going through an optical isolator. This implies a power source for the sensor circuit prior to the isolator, most likely low voltage battery(s). While most optical isolators are used in on/off switching mode, it's just a matter of proper DC bias and signal injection to pass an analog signal through such an isolator.

You could most likely get ALMOST as much isolation safety using small signal transformers between the signal probes and the existing amplifier circuit. However proper specifications and locating them will not be a simple task.

As many have implied, it's kind of important that you share your intent for such an application. If it's just for your personal use, experimental much as the link you posted from, that's one thing. If it's for use on others or for general sale then you really need to learn about all the legal requirements.

Lefty

It certainly can be realized, but the optical isolator would just be one component in such an application. ...
How about a link to a datasheet if you have one in mind.

How about a link to a datasheet if you have one in mind.

Well I've seen several analog type circuits designed with optical isolators over the years. I'm not inclined to search for data sheets. It's a matter of modulating the AC signal on top of a DC bias source for the input section of the isolator. Here is one application note that I quickly found via google.

**broken link removed**

Lefty

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back