Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Want to learn about PWM for SPI type RGB LED display

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Tim, sorry i havn't been on in a few days - been bogged down with the flu - anyway I set everything up, and have been having some success!! :D

The main problem I have just now is power - This thing draws 6Amps, so with the gear I have just now - my power supplies get very hot after about 10 secs.

What do you use to power yours?

Im rigging up a PC power supply to it as I type this.

I have been able to generate a good few colours, and hopefully by the end if tonight I will have a full 16,777,216.

Its a very nice display and very very bright, and to see the colours I need to put it at one end of my hall, and view from in the kitchen (its the only way I can achieve the required 14m)

will report back soon.

Great to hear of your progress!

I use a COSEL P100E-5-N 5vdc 20 amp power supply that I bought on ebay for only $20. It's a cage type open style supply but I could not beat the 20 amp capacity at 5 vdc as I thought it would be very useful for my projects. A panel of these displays

If your power supply is getting too hot, then it probably is overdriving it for current. It may shut down the regulator temporarily if this happens.

The 6 amps you are drawing makes sense as the data sheet states they have a working consumption of 30 watts. So using 5 vdc this means the working current draw is (I = P/E = 30w/5v = 6 amps).

Remember these mount in a cabinet of 24 of these displays which have I beleive (4) 5vdc power supplies AND - many cabinets of 24 (at 350 watts average = 70 amps) are used in a large outdoor screen of maybe 8 or many more cabinets - So hundreds of amps can be used in an outdoor large RGB display.

I love the brightness too - but your only talking about a 16x8 RRGB resolution - so many more need to be added and through SPI, fast display data can be displayed.

Progress?

Have you been able to work on this project?

It has been a long time and I have not heard from you with any status even via email.

Please let me know if you do not have time and I can arrange for you to ship the display module board back to me - if this is the case. Otherwise, please let me know your status.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back