Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Want to add a DC offset to a 555 timer circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd4pbj

I need to build a circuit to create a 5 volt peak to peak square wave, that is 5 volts high and 0 volts low. How can I add a 2.5V DC offset to one of the standard simple 555 timer oscillator circuits? The circuit will be operating around 500 khz (exact frequency doesn't matter).
I wasn't sure if I put a Zener diode in the ground pin to the timer chip or I floated it above ground with a voltage divider if that would work.
If this is not a workable idea, is there a circuit that I could build to feed the output of my function generator into that would allow me to add a voltage offset (can I do this with an opamp?)
Thanks for any advice.

Chris

You can use an op-amp buffer circuit, except you connect the input that normally goes to ground to a resistive divider. Though, the op-amp supply has to be 7.5V or greater.

hi chris,
If you use a 7.5Vdc supply for the 555 and use a 2.5Vref[zener] from the 555 0v pin to the 'system' ground that should be OK, connect a cap across the 2.5VZ.

You should use this 2.5V virtual ground [junction of the 555 and the 2.5VZ] as the ref ground for all the timing components on the 555 circuit.

What are you going to drive with the 5Vsqrwave + 2.5v ?

Hi DK and Eric,

I am testing a digital transceiver chip for a project and the datasheet said that it could be driven up to VCC (I am using 5 volts) but not to let the wave swing below -0.3V.
I have a spare LM358 or two lying around so I will use this as my bias generator for the 555 timer circuit.
Thanks again!

Chris

kd4pbj said:
Hi DK and Eric,

I am testing a digital transceiver chip for a project and the datasheet said that it could be driven up to VCC (I am using 5 volts) but not to let the wave swing below -0.3V.
I have a spare LM358 or two lying around so I will use this as my bias generator for the 555 timer circuit.
Thanks again!

Chris

The output from the 555 will not swing to -0.3V when using a +5V/0V supply to the 555????

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back