Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

W.E.P Soldering Equipment, and Diaphragm vs Brushless Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAl

Most Helpful Member
Hello there,

How do you feel about the W.E.P. soldering stuff, like the soldering stations and rework station with soldering iron and hot air gun combo?

Also, for the hot air gun part, how do you feel about the diaphragm type pump vs the brushless fan type for the hot air flow?

Hi,

Well thanks for your reply just the same.

I guess nobody here used this manufacturers stuff yet.

Any comments on diaphragm vs brushless fan air flow for the hot air gun? That's a separate question because of the two different types out there, regardless who makes them.

Mr Al:

I have one of these **broken link removed**, but just haven't set it up to use continually.

What's a W.E.P.?

Well, you can always use Amazon https://www.amazon.com/WEP-858D-Soldering-Station-Suitable/product-reviews/B0055B6NGE for reviews, even if you don't buy it there. My biggest complaint about Amazon is that there are no links to manufacturer's websites or manuals. Then for things that you need dimensions, there are none. A big "Box Store", not an "Engineer's Paradise".

MrAl said:
Any comments on diaphragm vs brushless fan air flow for the hot air gun? That's a separate question because of the two different types out there, regardless who makes them.

Apples? Oranges?

Now you might be able to compare rotary vane with diaphragm which are both types of pumps and DC, brushed and brushess which are types of motors.

Hi,

W.E.P. is the company who makes the rework station, and other stuff like stand alone hot air guns for SMD rework.
I suppose they are based in China.

When you go to buy a hot air tool, it states either:
1. Brushless motor fan
2. Diaphragm pump

and they do not go into detail about either one. The so called "brushless fan" type has a little fan in the HANDLE of the hot air gun, and the hot air gun only has an electrical wire connected to it (powers the heat element) that comes from the control box with the knob to change the air flow and heat temperature. The "diaphragm type" has a diaphragm pump built into the BASE UNIT and has an air tube running to it with wires inside to power the heat element.

So the "brushless fan" type has a small fan built into the handle, while the diaphragm type has a pump external to the handle which needs an air hose to blow the air into the handle which then shoots out the hot air after it is heated.

Despite the fact that they both blow hot air, there is a difference. The diaphragm type can push air with more pressure, while the fan type gives a more gentle breeze. My question is about how it might affect the soldering process, such as the type of tips that can be used with it. There is a chance that the diaphragm pump type works better with small diameter nozzels like 3mm. So there may only be a difference when soldering very small things like say a single pin on a DIP package or something like that, but this is one reason why i asked this question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back