Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Volume Control Pot Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

solis365

I am building an amp with the LA4282 chip.

Trying to select a (dual ganged/stereo) pot for use as an input volume control. It will be for line-level signals, such as a laptop or ipod input. datasheet.

Not sure what size pot to use - 10k? 25k? 1M?

Also not quite sure how you would determine this value. I am leaning towards 10k. As you can tell from the chip, not really audiophile quality.

Thinking about getting this one as I am ordering my case from this website anyway. They have several, this one is 10k, again, not sure what resistance to use.**broken link removed**

To attenuate the input level, the pot will be used as a simple voltage divider: one side to input source, one side to ground, and the wiper will be the input of the amp.

Last edited:
I couldn't find a spec' for the input impedance so I assume it'll be pretty high. The 10k taper pot. you've selected looks fine.

I assume its high as well as I did not see one either.

What resistance would you select if it were a lower impedance?

It depends on the exact impedance.

As a general rule of thumb the pot should be at least ten times the input impedance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back