Voltage to digital reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

richacm

Hi all, my first post.

I've got a project I am working on which measures the water level in a tank by using a piezo pressure sensor (Honeywell 24PCBFA1D https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/05/0900766b80026163.pdf ) connected to an open ended tube inserted in to the tank. I calculated that the maximum pressure for 3m of water is about 4.5 psi so I got this 5psi max component.

The component measures pressure by a range of voltages, from what I can see. 85mV to 145mV, where 85mv is no pressure and 145mV is 5psi.

What I want to do is have some indication (LED's or Computer interface) as to the value. How do I go about converting say 100mV to a digital value I can do something with? E.g. light up the first 3 of 10 LED's to show the tank is 1/4 full. Or take the raw 100mv value in to the computer and calculate the height of water in the tank.

Thanks heaps,

Craig

you could start with a cheap multimeter, I can can get one for $6, rip it apart and remount it in another box. If re-scaling is the problem ie you want 100mV (or 100 somethings) to represent 100% full you could do it with an op-amp(even a 741).

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I think that LM3914 will work a treat in conjunction with that Op-Amp....just need to figure out how to convert the 100mV to a reading within the range for the LM3914.

That multimeter idea is interesting also, what components does that use?

Thanks for the input. I think that LM3914 will work a treat in conjunction with that Op-Amp....just need to figure out how to convert the 100mV to a reading within the range for the LM3914.
hi,
After a little amplification, the LM3914 resistor values can be configured to remove that 'bottom end' offset voltage of 85mV.
The LM3914 LED's will show 'zero' [say LED #1] and the 'top end' 145mV should light LED #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…