Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage regulators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarr

Hi,
I have a project that needs 3 voltage regulators +5v 500ma, +3.8v 2amp +3.3v 200ma, currently I have them all supllied from the main +6v-+35v supply so all must accept a wide input voltage and all have smoothing caps (SMT tantalum, expensive!!) I was thinking about uprating the 5v regulator to 3amp and feeding the other two from the 5v reg.

I was hopeing to drop four caps as the supply to the other two regs should now be smooth and I can get lower spec 3.8v and 3.3v regulators as the input voltage is now only 5v

does this all sound OK? or will I hit problems?

The 5V is for logic and MCU etc. nothing powerfull hanging off it.

Thanks

Stephen Carr

regulator

:D hi,

check out **broken link removed** go to their power section and use their tool. they will provide you with what to use to suit your purpose.

"MERRY CHRISTMAS" :D

Thanks for the link, but........

Can you see any problems with feeding two regs 3.3v 200ma + 3.8v 2amp fron a 5v 3amp regulator?

Just saves me a few expensive caps and maybe a little space and also I can use lower spec 3.3v+3.8v regs (no so wide an input range)

Thanks

Re: Thanks for the link, but........

Scarr said:
Can you see any problems with feeding two regs 3.3v 200ma + 3.8v 2amp fron a 5v 3amp regulator?

No, it's common practice in commercial gear - but bear in mind you are pushing the 5V regulator fairly hard and will require good heatsinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back