Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current is required in order to better zero in on a regulator. It helps to know if a linear regulator is required or if a switching regulator will be ok in the application.

60-16=44 volts - a lot of power going to heat if linear devices are used.

You could use an LM317 adjustable regulator if there was some way you could cut the input voltage in half. What is the source of the 60 Volts ?

You could use a buck converter like National's LM2594HV.
The HV version will allow 60 volt input, but no higher.
An additional NPN power transistor can boost the LM2594HV's output current.
At 16 volts it is about 85% efficiency.

regulator

It would seem to me that the 60 volt input voltage would be a tad high , try finding a transformer that will give about 15 % above the required voltage that you want on the out put , I know you need some to play with in any design but you are using three times the amount needed on the input. A 20 volt transformer would do nicely and rated at 5 amps would also give protection to the input transformer. if you want a tight regulation I would recommend a series regulator utilizing a bipolar transitor. I have also been out of electronics for quite a few years so don't laugh at me to hard as I am behind the times. using discrete components you can also use a zener diode if the regulation is not so tight . this would be parrelle with the out put. have a good day

thanks

I´de like to thank everybody for the help and say that I´m still willing to know if there is any regulator with a bit more than 60V.
Here goes some answers for your questions:
- The source for this high voltage is a generator moved by gasoline. I´ve thought about reducing the relation between the mecanic and eletrical motors, but that´s not quite possible right now.
- Finking about the transformers, that´s not a bad idea, but I´ve some matters against it. Weight and size is pretty critical on this design. Still, if someone could indicate a transformer that would do the job, that´s not heavy and resoanable small I would thank a lot.

HV switching regulator

You may want to try out the following circuit (there's a short section with some hints on adapting the circuit to high-voltage use):

**broken link removed**

I haven't played around with the circuit yet to see if it lives up to the article's claims, but it seems to be along the lines of what you're looking for. His page has some other clever circuit ideas; there's some good info about driving stepper motors buried in there.

- CAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back