Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage Regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlt57sooner

I need to be able to vary a dc voltage from about .5 mV to 3 V using a micrprosser output. I dont not want to use PWM I just would like to use 3 or 4 bits from the mircoprossor to vary the voltage. Anyone know of a good way to accomplish this?

Use a D to A (Digital to Analogue) converter IC. They usually are 8 bit devices, but just use the 3 or 4 most significant bits.

However, with so few bits, the graduations will be large.

Len

A simple and cheap way is to use an R2R ladder network, this is simply a handfull of resistors that make up a D2A - there are various examples in the MicroChip application notes - or a web search should find you details.

Depending on your load impedance, you will probably have to buffer the output with an opamp or similar.

I have been looking into making a smart charger for low voltage nicad packs using LM317's

I am planning to use digital potentiometers to vary the voltage/current supply.

Maxim and ST do samples of i2c and spi resistors in the 5k, 10k, 100k regions, parallel resistors can be used to get the correct resistance range. U must also make sure they dont get more than 5mA of juice.... u can get 256 steps over a 5V range giving the lowest voltage of about 20mV

(BTW i am planning to have some feedback on the output voltage(s) and compare it to the 2.5V reference described in nigels analog tutorial)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back