Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage Regulator Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loaded4th

Hi;

I have not dabbled much with electronics for a number of years, even though I used to be rather proficient. Currently, I'm thinking of building a power supply of 1 to 28v at around 5A.

I noticed that there are a number of different regulators such as the:

LM1084IT-ADJ 5A low dropout VR

LM2588T-ADJ 5A flyback VR w/shutdown

LM723 150mA adj + 2N3055 o/p for higher current.

Is any one device better than another or is it a question of cost and use?

thanks in advance...

For a max output of 28V the unregulated supply must be about 32VDC. If the max current is 5A and the output is set to a low voltage or is shorted then the series pass device must dissipate 160W!

One 2N3055 transistor is rated at 115W if its case is cooled to 25 degrees C somehow (liquid nitrogen?) but will be extremely hot at only 60W even if it has a huge heatsink.

Think about switching taps on the transformer so that the series pass device does not have a high voltage across it when the output voltage is set to a low voltage. Maybe automatic switching.
Or think about paralleling a few series pass devices to share the heat.

Thanks for the response.

I'm aware of input voltage variation and heat issues. I was actually trying to get some advice on a particular [integrated] voltage regulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back