Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage regulator circuit that doesn't regulate voltage. Am I doing it wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I then added a 200 pF capacitor (As I did not have a 220pF one.) between the base and collector of Q3. Nothing changed.
The only change I noticed in the sim was that the presence of the cap (changing its value made little difference, don't know why) reduced the output ripple slightly.
I have to agree that the problem seems to be construction-related; perhaps a dry joint somewhere?

The next opportunity I'll have to rebuild the circuit with a fresh layout won't be for a day or 2. But when I get the chance do you recommend building the original or Mike's modified version with the extra Caps?

Interesting findings Les. I think I must have some faulty components then. Because I've even had an electronic pro look at my board and couldn't find any faults. A fresh rebuild with new components might be the answer then?

Looking at the schematic Ive found a potential problem. The voltage going into the regulator circuit is 89vdc after the voltage doubler. The capacitor at c5 is rated at 63v and only has a 10k resistor between it and certain death.

Well cutting a long story short I went full retard..... Though my layout was fine there was one critical problem with the bd139..... And you probably already know what ive done before I've said it. The bd139 pin layout has the base on the end rather than the middle. Looking at a diagram of the bd139 it used a generic diode symbol and I completely overlooked the pin layout..... Derp Derp and Derp! I feel so bad wasting your guys time! But what an awesome community! Thanks to everyone, but a special thanks to Mike for sticking with it! Trust me I'll never get a bd139 the wrong way around now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back