Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage Range Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrix

A circuit is required to convert a voltage range of 100mV - 1V to 1V -5V
ie:at i/p:100mV --> o/p: 0V and
1V---->5V

Any ideas/suggestions ?

Lets say we have a sensor giving out readings in the range of 100mV-1V.
I want to calibrate these such that 100mV should correspond to 0V and 1V should correspond to 5V. All the readings in between 100mV & 1V, likewise should be mapped.

OutToLunch said:
offset the input signal by 100mV and then put the offset signal into a gain stage of 5.56
That should do it, I think. Can you draw a schematic that does this. (offset it and amplify the resultant).

Electrix said:
That should do it, I think. Can you draw a schematic that does this. (offset it and amplify the resultant).

A non-inverting adder with a potentiometer on one input leg will allow you to adjust the input voltage offset. With appropriate feedback resistor, you can also get the gain desired. Is that enough information?

What are you trying to do?

It's possible you're doing it the hard/wrong way.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Check out opamps! - tailor made for a job like this!.
OpAmps can definitely be a choice for such a circuit.Sorry, I've gone a bit rusty with my knowledge, its been quite a while and have lost touch ! Feels good to get back !!

Analog said:
A non-inverting adder with a potentiometer on one input leg will allow you to adjust the input voltage offset. With appropriate feedback resistor, you can also get the gain desired. Is that enough information?

Thanks ! I'll try that out.

Hero999 said:
What are you trying to do?

It's possible you're doing it the hard/wrong way.

I'm simply trying to find a solution to a problem, defined in the Third Post in this thread. The issue was of signal conversion/calibration.

The reason people are confused about your request for information is because it's such a straight forward problem. Use an opamp with the specified gain. The input impedance, output impedance and signal frequency however decide what opamp you chose.

That's another point, you haven't stated what bandwidth or input/output impedance you require.

Hero999 said:
That's another point, you haven't stated what bandwidth or input/output impedance you require.
It's a DC Signal Voltage. The impedances are not worked out as yet. I've managed to build it anyway. Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back