Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage on inductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

NN6394

I try to calculate voltage spike on inductor after inductor is disconnected from voltage source. You can see my method of computing below, but I thing there is some mistake in method, because the calculated voltage on inductor is IMHO too small. I would expect hundreds of volts. Where is mistake?
Thank you very much.

Attachments

• Inductor.jpg
    Inductor.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 219
I can't follow your math, but aren't you making this harder than it actually is? With the switch closed the current in the inductor is nominally 12 A. When the switch is opened, the current wants to remain at 12 amps with a 100 ohm load. E = I*R = 12*100 = 1200 volts

I can't follow your math, but aren't you making this harder than it actually is? With the switch closed the current in the inductor is nominally 12 A. When the switch is opened, the current wants to remain at 12 amps with a 100 ohm load. E = I*R = 12*100 = 1200 volts
Sounds good :) Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back