Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage Multiplier

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMalonzo

I need a simple voltage multiplier circuit that can handle 6A of load current. I'm going to use this to supply a power amplifier, since i only have a 12V center tapped transformer on hand.

And/or maybe a voltage and current multiplier/amplifier.

Any reply would be a great help.

Please provide more information:
1) What is the multiplier's input voltage? 12-14V from a car battery?
2) What is your required output voltage that would feed the amplifier? AC or DC? Square-wave or sine-wave?
3) What is the primary voltage and secondary output current or VA ratings of your transformer?

I'd like a circuit for a voltage AND current multiplier too.
Then I'd like a lever with a mechanical advantage AND a velocity ratio of greater than one.
Oh, and while you're at it, how about a bottomless pit of ice-cream and and everlasting bottle of Guinness.

AMalonzo said:
I need a simple voltage multiplier circuit that can handle 6A of load current. I'm going to use this to supply a power amplifier, since i only have a 12V center tapped transformer on hand.

And/or maybe a voltage and current multiplier/amplifier.

As you've already been told by 'audioguru' you don't give enough information for any specific answers.

BUT! - a 6A voltage multiplier is going to require some seriously large capacitors, and it's going to take more than 12A off the transformer - is your transformer rated at 12A?. Buying the correct transformer is likely to be cheaper!.

But I suggest you post EXACTLY! what you are trying to do, don't make guesses at how you think it could be done, just tell us what you want to do, and what you already have!.

JohnBrown said:
Then I'd like a lever with a mechanical advantage AND a velocity ratio of greater than one.
Oh, and while you're at it, how about a bottomless pit of ice-cream and and everlasting bottle of Guinness.
Well, he said that any reply would be a great help, but I believe yours would be an exception. Funny, though!
Obviously, many beginners don't know enough to realize that their requests are unreasonable. We won't know for sure until he answers audioguru's questions, but I suspect that the only workable solution is a different transformer.

Thanks for the reply.

I am planning to build an audio amplifier, what i need for the power supply is 25V to 45V DC >=3A.

I have a 12V/6A Center tapped transformer. What could be the output current for this transformer?

is there anything i missed? :roll:

Oh, so you want to multiply the voltage of your 12V transformer to obtain 25V to 45V DC? >3A? It would be impractical to make a voltage doubler and get about 30VDC at 2A. Any more current would overload the transformer. The power that is wasted in the many diodes of the voltage doubler must be subtracted from the 72VA rating of the transformer to determine the supply's output current.

25V to 45VDC is a very broad range for an amplifier. 25V would allow a single-ended amplifier to produce about 6.9W RMS into an 8 ohms speaker. 45V would allow about 25W. How much power do you need?

First decide how much power you need, then that will indicate the DC supply voltage, which will allow you to calculate what voltage and current that is needed from a transformer to match this project.

Ron H said:
JohnBrown said:
Well, he said that any reply would be a great help, but I believe yours would be an exception. Funny, though!
Obviously, many beginners don't know enough to realize that their requests are unreasonable. We won't know for sure until he answers audioguru's questions, but I suspect that the only workable solution is a different transformer.

yeeees... newbie until proven guilty (knows better)

AMalonzo said:
Thanks for the reply.

I am planning to build an audio amplifier, what i need for the power supply is 25V to 45V DC >=3A.

I have a 12V/6A Center tapped transformer. What could be the output current for this transformer?

is there anything i missed? :roll:

Is the transformer 12-0-12 or 6-0-6?.

If it's 12-0-12 a bridge rectifer will give you about 36V DC output.

If it's 6-0-6 put it on one side, and buy the correct transformer, it will be considerably cheaper (and easier) than any method of increasing the voltage.

As you're only 'planning' building an amplifier, you could build a bridged amplifier which gives more power off a lower supply rail - but again, it's more complicated - requiring four amplifiers rather than just two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back