Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage follower needs solving

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed5bradley

Report Post Today, 04:01 PM
hello,
It is an voltage follower Op Amp...
I need to get under 5V for the V.out and also under 10mA for the I.out

What i have is a 10k thermistor and i need to know what the value of the other resistor should be, and what it looks like drawn up

take a look at the pic i attached

Attachments

• Voltage follower.jpg
    Voltage follower.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 294
Decide what resistance the therm will be at the center of the temp range of interest, and make the other resistor that value.

Last edited:
Report Post Today, 04:01 PM
hello,
It is an voltage follower Op Amp...

What i have is a 10k thermistor and i need to know what the value of the other resistor should be, and what it looks like drawn up

take a look at the pic i attached

Hi there,

This pic was the result of a quick study of linearity and sensitivity vs choice of resistor and just how
good a 10k thermistor (at 25 deg C) would work for sensing at 40 deg F. The thermistor B is about 4000.

The pic is temperature vs 10 bit AD count vs R2 (R2 is the upper resistor you have labeled R1 in your pic).
As R2 increases, the sensitivity goes down a little as the linearity gets better. It's not that different however.

Attachments

• ThermistorLinearity-10_to_100k.gif
    ThermistorLinearity-10_to_100k.gif
    45.9 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Hi Eric and Roff,

Not sure what you mean there? I just figured he was looking for the typical technique for using thermistors for sensing temperature.
I also had to delete a pic until i fiind the right data that goes with it :)

Hi Eric and Roff,

Not sure what you mean there? I just figured he was looking for the typical technique for using thermistors for sensing temperature.
I also had to delete a pic until i fiind the right data that goes with it :)
The baffling sentence in the OPs post is this:
I don't see how we can answer his question until he clarifies this.

Hi again Roff,

Oh ok i see what you mean now.

In any case, the linearity and sensitivity comes into question and here is another pic to add to the data presented so
far for using a thermistor for sensing temperature. This particular application had to sense around 40 degrees F and
needed to be relatively linear within a range of plus and minus 15 degrees F from 40 degrees F.
The red line is perfect linearity, and the blue line is the actual response of the circuit as AD count using a 10 bit ADC.

Attachments

• ThermistorLinearity-10k-02.GIF
    ThermistorLinearity-10k-02.GIF
    10.9 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back