Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

voltage doubler

Status
Not open for further replies.

RT

Hi guys

first i searched the site but didnt see any circuit for what i need ,may of been in there but didnt see one .

but heres what i got, ive got 2 batteries in parallel for a total of 6 volts /8Ah
(6v/4ah x2 ) i have a remote controlled boat "that" ran on 4 AA batteries , i took it all out, put it in a homemade boat. Im sure i cant double the voltage into the reciever, with out frying it. So i want to double the output off the leads to the motor, assuming that this initially ran from 4 AA that the current is not very high. granted this could and probly will burn up the motors, im ok with that as all upgrade them later...
Here's what i would like :
1) double voltage give or take a few...
2) handle 2-3 amp or more...
3) have no ic's or transformer if possible...
4) least amount of componets as possible...

Ive looked at the max1044 but didnt see max current it could handle,probly over looked it ,(im good at that :D )

any schematics or hints ,tips , or advice greatly appreciated
and as always ***** THANKS *****

if needing current draw from circuit i will check it and repost if needed :

Simply put your two 6V batteries in series - this will give 12V for the motor, feed your receiver off the centre of the two batteries to give it a 6V supply.

It couldn't be any easier!, and it meets all four of your criteria.

this is not real good drawing ,but im not sure i follow how to do that as all power to the circuit is derived from the 2 power connections going into the reciever,dont no if it matters but the reciever is sealed..this is basically how its all set up.. there is 3 wires to the circuit a red ,green and black.red/green to positive black to ground.. i understand the series wireing of the batteries ,but dont see how to hook the motors to get 12 volts.

Attachments

• 1_150.jpg
    1_150.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 907
RT said:
this is not real good drawing ,but im not sure i follow how to do that as all power to the circuit is derived from the 2 power connections going into the reciever,dont no if it matters but the reciever is sealed..this is basically how its all set up.. there is 3 wires to the circuit a red ,green and black.red/green to positive black to ground.. i understand the series wireing of the batteries ,but dont see how to hook the motors to get 12 volts.

Under those circumstances you can't provide 12V for the motor, as it's fed from the receiver - you would need a totally seperate feed to the motor drivers to power them from 12V with the receiver fed off only 6V.

From your origianl question I presumed you had seperate conenctions?.

So is this not possible to do it in this manner

Attachments

• circuit_1.jpg
    circuit_1.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 877
RT said:
So is this not possible to do it in this manner

Your strict requirements (no transformers, high current etc.) don't leave any practical solutions for doubling.

But you really need to provide a circuit diagram of how the motor is currently connected - for a start is there any speed control, or just ON and OFF?.

If you can split the receiver and motor drivers (as your block diagram seems to show?) the simple batteries in series method would be simple to do.

But again, you really need to provide the circuit diagram.

i belive pretty much an ,on /off system.
but i scoured the net and it looks as though transformer or ic is a must, but would definitly prefer not to have inductors. but will to go with witch is ever easiest and has minimal componets..

Attachments

• circuit_2_136.jpg
    circuit_2_136.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 872
i tried to take amp measurements but it wouldnt read any will try to get different meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back