Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voice over IP intercom ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

radeohedca

I want to build a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) intercom.
Would like to hear from anyone who had successfully designed anything similar to this. Doesn't have to be full duplex...one person talks while the other person listens so no echo cancellation is required.
Reply here or e-mail me direct.
Cheers.

I think Texas Instruments had an applications board for one of their DSPs with this on a little while ago. You might try having a dig around their DSP application notes.

Spex said:
I think Texas Instruments had an applications board for one of their DSPs with this on a little while ago. You might try having a dig around their DSP application notes.

I much prefer to do this using a micro and CODEC as I am fluent in
assembler for several microcontroller architectures and I don't 'speak' DSP.

That said, if you come across any information on the TI app note that you mentioned, please let me know as it could be helpful.

Thanks !

Sure. But the Texas DSPs are just microcontrollers with DSP bells and whistles, you still programme them much like any other micro...either in C or assembler. Their development environment is quite good and their applications boards aren't bad either.

Just a suggestion.

Spex said:
Sure. But the Texas DSPs are just microcontrollers with DSP bells and whistles, you still programme them much like any other micro...either in C or assembler. Their development environment is quite good and their applications boards aren't bad either.

Just a suggestion.

Well, not quite...
Have you ever tried your hand at DSP programming ? The mechanics of "writing firmware" and programming the chip are the same
but to *truely* write your own DSP code (not just load prewritten canned code) is not a walk in the park. It is heavily math intensive and a serious understanding of filter and analog signal reconstruction theory is required. DSP architectures differ from micros in that their registers and instruction sets are designed for number crunching rather than bit banging. Typical microcontroller code uses a lot of ROM and a little RAM while DSP code uses little ROM and lots of RAM.
They seem similar from the outset but to assume that someone who is familiar with microcontroller code can jump right into DSP is innaccurate.

Okay guys...nobody doing VoIP.
How about anyone who has done anything with CODECs connected to a micro ...i.e., voice recording/playback or sound sampling ?

radeohedca said:
Have you ever tried your hand at DSP programming ? The mechanics of "writing firmware" and programming the chip are the same
but to *truely* write your own DSP code (not just load prewritten canned code) is not a walk in the park.

Yes I have, but not for audio.

Yes there's a big difference but using an application board designed for the purpose and with the DSP code required for audio processing already written the complexity of the exercise is reduced to little more than another micro job. It was, after all, just a suggestion.

Spex said:
Yes I have, but not for audio.

Yes there's a big difference but using an application board designed for the purpose and with the DSP code required for audio processing already written the complexity of the exercise is reduced to little more than another micro job. It was, after all, just a suggestion.

I appreciate the suggestion Spex. I appologize... I didn't mean to come off as unappreciative. If you happen across the subject App Note, please let me know.
Tnx...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back