Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VLSI design considrations...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lord loh.

I was just wondering about a VLSI designs....

1. In VLSI design does one work at the gate levels or does one have to bother about every individual transistor / FET ?

2. The TTL gate ICs have totempole output. In case of an IC like a multiplexer IC, which contains AND gates followed by an OR, does each AND gate inside the IC need a totempole output ? Since they supply current to only one OR gate, I do not think it is needed, or is it ?

I am currently taking a VLSI design course, so I don't know everything.

but to answer your questions:

1) this depends on the application. For quick designs sometimes designers will throw together pre-made gates and such. But for production run designs, the design is usually taken down to the transistor level.

2) "buffered" output I assume you mean? no, as long as the gates have similarly sized transistors they should not need buffering between gates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back