Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vizio L32 wont power on

Status
Not open for further replies.

unusualbob

Well well, I am a bit new here, but it looks like you guys seem to know your stuff.

I am the proud owner of a Vizio L32HDTV (10A) which just an hour or so ago decided to no longer function.

Was going to watch a movie, suddenly found I was unable to adjust volume or anything with my remote. I figured it was a faulty battery and decided to adjust the volume on my TV's buttons. No such luck.

I then thought oh well I'll just turn it off an then on again. No such luck.

Well then I finally decided to kill it via pulling the plug from the wall, well that seemed to have done the trick. I then left it for about a minute or so, plugged it back in. Hit power, got nothing.

I haven't popped it open yet since I need to get ready for a family lunch later today, but I still get the nice amber light showing the TV is still getting power so I know its not entirely dead, but if anyone here has the slightest idea where to start looking for a problem (I'm guessing mainboard since the control issues) I would love some help.

Thanks
-new guy

Experience: Some minor CRT repair (identifying & replacing bad capacitors, fixing bad solder connections).

TV is out of warranty, I've sent an email to Vizio but I have yet to hear a response and I'm not sure how great they will be about helping me. ("Did you try pressing power, is it plugged in? *facepalm)

Last edited:
You won't get anything useful from Vizio, and sending it to a repair place will cost you more than a new TV, and it'll likley break again anyways.

The two primary things to fail in TV's like that are the power supply or the backlight, neither of which seem to be the case, though I'd lean towards the power supply. It's some place to start if you're not willing to junk the TV yet.

ALWAYS get the in store extended warranty with devices like this, they're worth every single last penny you spend on them for the most part.

if i were you id open the set up and inspect the capacitors on the 12v and 5v supply rails you may be lucky and find some with bulging cases also you may have invertor board failure which isnt the end of the world as long as there isnt too much damage can you post pics of the set??

I'm working on a Vizio vw32LHDTV20A and it may be very close to your model.

I can tell you how my power supply works. The outputs are clearly marked which makes troubleshooting better. Mine has three outputs, a 5V(volt), a 12V and a 24V.

The 5V is on when the TV is plugged in (or standby mode) and is fed to the Main Control board. When the TV is switched to ON, the main control board sends ??(not sure what this signal is but either a TTL low or TTL high) back to the power supply and switches the 12V and the 24V on.

You should be able to check your voltages with a meter.

I hope all that makes sense.

Mine has a bad control board so that is how I know how the others parts work.

By what your's is doing it sounds like it is the control board also.

Let me know if you need more help.

vw32Lhdtv20a question

I'm working on a Vizio vw32LHDTV20A and it may be very close to your model.

I can tell you how my power supply works. The outputs are clearly marked which makes troubleshooting better. Mine has three outputs, a 5V(volt), a 12V and a 24V.

The 5V is on when the TV is plugged in (or standby mode) and is fed to the Main Control board. When the TV is switched to ON, the main control board sends ??(not sure what this signal is but either a TTL low or TTL high) back to the power supply and switches the 12V and the 24V on.

You should be able to check your voltages with a meter.

I hope all that makes sense.

Mine has a bad control board so that is how I know how the others parts work.

By what your's is doing it sounds like it is the control board also.

Let me know if you need more help.

When your main board went out would your tv power on? Mine will but none of the inputs will work. Just curious if my problem is the main board also. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
It could be the power supply board, check for bulgy capacitor and dry solder and sometimes the Schottky diodes might give u the same problems

guys! i am using Vizio L32HDTV (10A) it nice but some time make problem i am looking for its solution
mark
**broken link removed**
USA

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back