Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

virgin media email problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wp100

Hi all,

I'm not a great PC user and do not frequent any PC forums so hoped you guys might be able to help me out.

I'm on the old .NTLWORLD email address of Virgin and they have been having all sorts of problems over the last few months and no signs of it improving.
No idea what mail might have been lost.

Again today they have been out for the last 12 hours !

You can see more details of the problems on this link **broken link removed**

While I have to stay with Virgins good cable network, I think I should find a better email provider.
(BT just to far away for broadband)

Problem is I do not really know who to look at for such a free service here in the UK other than googlemail, which some might say has its own potential problems.

Any suggestion would be welcomed.

thanks.

Last edited:
I've used Yahoo Mail for years, Gmail is as good or better than Yahoo. Either of those two are sufficient for about 99.9% of people. Having a free e-mail account not linked to your provider is good, and neither Yahoo nor Google are going anywhere anytime soon. What are you concerns with using a service such as G-mail or Yahoo?

Hi,

Having a free e-mail account not linked to your provider is good, and neither Yahoo nor Google are going anywhere anytime soon. What are you concerns with using a service such as G-mail or Yahoo?

Well my thinking was the other way around, I thought the isp would give a better more secure service, whereas the global players like google perhaps were not so secure or reliable.

Seems you are saying the reverse is more true - but thats why I was asking, because its not an area I'm well up on.

A friend has also just mentioned Microsofts Hotmail - is that also a recommended platform ?
Can never see me moving away from Windows .

thanks.

I have not once ever in my entire life had an e-mail interruption with Yahoo that lasted more than an hour, or my ability to use a different computer to access it.
I'm not saying anything is true, you have to weight each service against the others, even a big ISP doesn't compare to Google or Yahoo, then again services like Google and Yahoo are targeted more often because of this fact.

I wouldn't use Hotmail I've not in the last 10 years been given a hotmail address by anyone I know, but I'm not a mover or shaker or anything like that =) I doubt a lot of people still use it.

If you think any e-mail system is secure, you're wrong. There is no such thing as truly secure e-mail unless you encrypt it and then the fault point becomes the keys used for encryption.
As far as reliability goes any service worth even it's name is going to have 99.99% or better uptime. The 12 hour outages you've had are completly inexcusable, regardless of the cause.

If you're currently paying for an e-mail account through your current company I would complain till my face turned red, that's totally completely inexcusable.

Hi,

I wouldn't use Hotmail I've not in the last 10 years been given a hotmail address by anyone I know, but I'm not a mover or shaker or anything like that =) I doubt a lot of people still use it.
Point taken..

If you're currently paying for an e-mail account through your current company I would complain till my face turned red, that's totally completely inexcusable.

While I have generally found Virgins help desk to be good, as you can see from that link, one of many I googled, their customers services can slip back to their bad old ways - I vote with my feet - if folk don't want my business I don't ask twice to give them my money.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back