Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VHS PC Tape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and i calculated the estimated transfer rate: about 15 kilobytes per second !! Isnt that even slower than a floppy?

When I proposed 15k bytes/second I was thinking of a very simple circuit.
With a little work; There are two video tracks. Each capable of recording 4mhz and probably 10mhz. Each has a infinite amount of levers. It would be hard to decode 256 levels/pixels so lets only decode 16 levels. 16 levels = one hex (0 through F) There are two channels being recorded at one time. 16 levels + 16 levels = one 8 bit byte. Every pixel = one byte.

I think one line could hold 512 bytes. Because this is a hobby lets slow down to 256 bytes/line. 256x15750 gets us in the order of 4 million bytes/second. (To check my assumptions I looked up a digital audio recorder that uses video tape. It is recording at 4.5M bytes/second)

4million bytes/sec x 6 hours = ?

The company that made a small (mini cassette) tape storage unit was Exabyte. It was pretty fast - though sequential - and stored a ton of data for it's time. The error rate is fairly high for VCRs doing data so a powerful error correction code is needed.

When I proposed 15k bytes/second I was thinking of a very simple circuit.
With a little work; There are two video tracks. Each capable of recording 4mhz and probably 10mhz. Each has a infinite amount of levers. It would be hard to decode 256 levels/pixels so lets only decode 16 levels. 16 levels = one hex (0 through F) There are two channels being recorded at one time. 16 levels + 16 levels = one 8 bit byte. Every pixel = one byte.

I think one line could hold 512 bytes. Because this is a hobby lets slow down to 256 bytes/line. 256x15750 gets us in the order of 4 million bytes/second. (To check my assumptions I looked up a digital audio recorder that uses video tape. It is recording at 4.5M bytes/second)

4million bytes/sec x 6 hours = ?

Hi,

How many heads does the digital audio recorder have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back