Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VGA timing generator IC for 320x240

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karpicomad

Hi everybody. In first time, sorry for my bad english :(

I'm with a project that is driving me crazy. I need to generate the vga signals for a 320x240x60 hertz synchronization, but I can't find any IC that gives me that possibility, without any other.

Do you know any IC that generates the HSync / VSync signals for that configuration? Exists?

Thank you in advance.

those signals are usually generated in the VGA chip itself on a video card.

That would be EGA, not VGA??
It can be done just with a chain of dividers and a few gates, or there are some LM1882CM / 74ACT715 sync gen ICs still about.

Such applications were common 20+ years ago, but most of the dedicated ICs for analog display timing have long since disappeared.

You could also generate the appropriate timing signals with such as a moderately fast PIC MCU.
More info here:

My old test card generator design may give you some ideas as well; that used a sync generator plus counter chains all running from a common clock to create the column and row timing for a pixel display.
You want a lower resolution, but the principles are the same.

Another possibility (single chip solution) -

Here is another, but you would need help getting the project setup for the IDE. Not rocket
science but if you have never worked with this IDE, PSOC Creator, you would need assist.
Basically PSOC allows custom components to be created (a component in PSOC terminology
is an onchip resource created in its fabric, in addition to the 100+ it already has in its library).

https://community.cypress.com/external-link.jspa?url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munching_square In operation

$10 board to do the dev, Compiler and IDE free.

Attached a catalog of its internal resources. And community has other additions -

**broken link removed**

Note the TV Test Card Generator in rjenkinsgb post would be easy to do all in a PSOC.
The only small issue is translating a character generator ROM chip in original design into a a array in FLASH
then using PSOC DMA to move the character out to screen. Eg. getting the table created and into code base.
But I am confident a database/excel listing out there that could be converted into IDE array for the compiler.

Regards, Dana.

Attachments

• Component List (2).doc
    178.5 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Really we need to know exactly what he's trying to do?, as is often the case he's asking for a very specific circuit, which may not be the easiest way to achieve what he's trying to do.

VGA wise, you can create a monochrome serial terminal using pretty well nothing except a PIC32 and a few resistors, I keep meaning to build one - I even have a suitable DIP PIC for it, and have even compiled the code and loaded it in the PIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back