Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VGA signal processor / multiplexor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
Anyone know of a gizmo that I can connect 3 vga video sources to one vga video monitor, and view all 3 at once?

Yes all at the same time, I dont mean a kvm.

That is like carrying 3l of water in a 1l bottle.

I have a box that will take (old broadcast video) and display 1 or 4 pictures at once. In 4 picture mode each picture displays only 1/2 of the lines and 1/2 of the pixels horizontally. (1/4 of the pixels)

OK for watching security video. Not good for watching computer text.

How do you envision the three different video signals being arranged on one screen? Three-fourths of a quad splitter as ron described, or some other arrangement? If you can, post a sketch.

ak

As Ron says, use a quad 'splitter' as used on security systems - it's fine for computer text as well, assuming it's large enough text - resolution is obviously limited by the monitor and the splitter.

A lot really depends on the exact reason for wanting to do this - but connected via VGA to an LCD TV even a 16 way 'splitter' looks really good quality.

We have a scada system, a records computer and a camera system on a production line, all have vga monitors, the camera's are just to make sure the machine hasntmessed up where you cant see, we have 3 monitors and wires all over the place, possibly soon to be 4, so I wanted to get a great big monitor and show them all, quality is important.
The camera system shows 7 cam's at once, and there are spare i/p's, however these are composite, non of the pc's have composite out, and I want all of the cams to occupy 1/3 of the screen, not have 11 windows all equal size.

We have a scada system, a records computer and a camera system on a production line, all have vga monitors, the camera's are just to make sure the machine hasntmessed up where you cant see, we have 3 monitors and wires all over the place, possibly soon to be 4, so I wanted to get a great big monitor and show them all, quality is important.
The camera system shows 7 cam's at once, and there are spare i/p's, however these are composite, non of the pc's have composite out, and I want all of the cams to occupy 1/3 of the screen, not have 11 windows all equal size.

Instead of a great big monitor, get a number of smaller ones and fit them together to look like a 'great big one' :D

Dr Pepper,
I am lost.
1) The video is both from cameras and from a computer.
2) 3 and soon 4 sources.
3) Then there is a 7 + camera system
4) composite and separate video
5) are you certain the cameras output VGA
6)What is the computer VGA 640x480, or 1024x768 or ......

I think you understand each video stream will be low resolution and small.
p.s.
I have a "TV" that I am using as a computer monitor. It is 1920x1080. It is possible, with great work, to make a box that would collect three (640x480) VGA signals and display them as 1920x640. So horizontally all pixels would be used but vertically only 640 of 1080 would be used. The three video sources are not synchronized. So video needs to be painted into memory at three different rates then read back out at a 4th clock rate. (big FPGA project) If the video is 1024x768 then the 1024 needs to be scaled down to 640 in real time. I have done things like this, I need the work, but probably not going to happen.

Ok maybe I should try to be clearer.

We have:

A computer running scada software controlling a production line it has vga.

A computer used for keeping records and printing product labels it has vga

The machine has 8 cameras, these all go to a dvr which generates all 8 cam views on 1 vga monitor, so it too has a vga connector.

So what I wanted was a box with 4 vga inputs, and 1 vga output, and all 4 vga inputs would appear on 1 vga monitor split into 4.

At the moments theres a matted mess of wires and different shapes and sizes of monitor, the whole thing is ugly, I think Nige's idea of all the same type of monitor maybe on the same crossbar bracket would be much nicerer.

How about a VNC or teamviewer or something to view the actual screen on a pc, instead of going through all the complications with VGA?

Yes possibly, 2 of them have that capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back