Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Very strange . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

So i took apart an old satellite receiver to strip it for parts. I think it was dish network because it said echostar on it.

On the circuitboard, there was a cover that covered 8 connectors that you could only access if you took apart the receiver like I did. It said something about some sort of card or something. Anyway, the weird part: Under this cover, printed on the circuitboard in that white ink that marks where to put resistors and stuff, it said: Friday the 13th part III, and there was a picture of a skull.

Needless to say, I'm totally baffled, why in the world would that be on a satellite receiver board??

because ppl in manufacturing have to entertain themselve somehow ;)

Some companys rarely produce a chip with a face on it.

On ripleys believe or not, this guys hunts for them and has a large collection.

The board that you have can be a load of money on ebay
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If I were you I would put it up on there
That sort of thing sells good on ebay.

because ppl in manufacturing have to entertain themselve somehow
Thats what i figured . . . Is this something on all of the receivers like the one I have or is this just one case?

The board that you have can be a load of money on ebay
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
NO WAY!!! How much do ya think? and what category should I put it in?

Its quite a shame that I threw out all of the outside case. You don't think that a buyer would notice a missing IR receiver do ya :lol:

That's bizarre. I guess they thought no one would ever look in there.

zachtheterrible said:
. . . Is this something on all of the receivers like the one I have or is this just one case?
Chances are good that each board has the same silkscreen (that's what the white ink is often called). There were likely thousands of boards in that production run, so it's probably not unique. We have a board inside a piece of equipment where I work that says "Elvis lives" on it.
Here's a link to a site which takes photos of the microscopic art that can [sometimes] be found on silicon ic dies that Roboticinfo spoke about: **broken link removed**
JB
Edit: Here's another one! https://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/creatures/

On a similar note, Tektronix used to have little cartoons on their schematics. This was back in the day when a schematics were drawn by hand. Most are pictorial "puns" relating to technical terms on the drawing.

link: **broken link removed**

I have seen some quite funny remarks in technical service manuals also, things like " when testing, connect 5 volts to point 23 for steady on, but do not ground, the power section doesn't like it, and tends to go bang. "

Also some of the remarks programmers leave in their code can be very funny. One controller we used had code with remarked lines you could read when viewing the program in debug mode. One loop had a comment on how they had spent all weekend writing and trying to get this bit to work, so you better appreciate it.

That is some pretty cool stuff with the art on the uC's.

silkscreen, yeah thats the word i was looking for. So does anybody think my board is worth anything, or should I just strip it of parts n toss it?

What ever you do Do not throw it out that would be worth up to like $200 or more on ebay.

But if you want to throw it out go for it

you know, that seems totally outrageous... but knowing people on ebay... frighteningly enough I don't think I'd be shocked if it did sell for $200 or more...

the things people would rather have than money :roll: it's a neat little find, for sure, but for someone to pay $200 for it would be a pretty poor investment, especially if they could find a used receiver just like the one you tore apart, for dirt cheap, and get the same thing out of it

I have seen some pretty creative additions to circuit boards. Some times the layout artist gets a little creative. Back in the days when circuit boards were layed out by hand(without a computer) I saw a smiley face on one and on another one there was a pair of eyes just above one of the traces. These items were on multiple boards as there were in production. These items were on the solder side.

In those days the layout tape was black in various widths. The holes were lift and paste. Sometimes mylar sheets were the base and I even saw layouts on white paper and india ink lines. There were patterns for transistors and IC's.

Sometimes is hard to tell what people will pay for things on EBAY, as what may be one persons junk can be anothers persons treasure.
A few years ago I sold a Heathkit Logo coffee cup for $50.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back