(very?) simple integrate circuit question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnickelson

This is related to another post i have in one of the other forums, so please excuse me if this seems to be a double post, but I have a question on a simple piece of my project.

Is there an integrated circuit such that, when momentary voltage is applied to one pin, it will alternate a connection between a second pin and a number of alternate pins? For example, if i send voltage through a momentary switch to pin 1, pin 2 would complete a circuit with pin 6. Then when i apply voltage to pin 1 second time, the pin 2 to pin 6 circuit would open and pin 2 would complete a circuit to pin 7, repeating to pin 8, then 9, through, say, 6 connections?

A related question, if any above scenario is possible, are any integrated circuits able to handle continuous 12 volts at 15-20 amps? Looking for an application on a vehicle and wondering if an IC is able to handle loads associated with taillights and such, or if i would need to look at including a large number of relays for each application.

Thanks for your consideration,
-Dan

Others here may help you with the logic, but no, no single IC will handle 15-20A mutiple outputs. Use DC SSRs for simplicity (but not cheap) or relays, or power FETs (but make sure they can handle hi turn on currents and spikes/shorts typical in an automotive enviroment)

If I understand correctly what you wish to do (Something like a light chaser, but under your control.), then a 4017 should handle it.

Have a look here for an example:
**broken link removed**

As for the higher current requirement, you will have to switch something else with the 4017, such as bassnut's suggestions.

HTH.

A 4017 is a sequencer that simply turns on an output as it sequences.
It doesn't connect the selected output to a pin, it connects a selected output to its positive supply voltage. Its output current is a few mA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…