Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Very basic connector question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speakerguy

On a connector like **broken link removed**, what are the lead functions?

I'm assuming '1' is +Vin, and 2 and 3 are ground. Are 2 and 3 open circuit with respect to each other when the plug is disconnected? Or is it the other way around? I'd like for my micro to detect the loss of DC power connection and shut down other stuff before going into sleep mode. Thanks!

Last edited:
Pin 2 and 3 are shorted with no plug inserted. When plug is inserted 3 is tip and 2 is ring. Either or can be power and ground depending on how you wire the plug. Pin 1 may be for shield, not sure.

Last edited:
I interpret that as 1 is center, 2 is outer and 3 is disconnected from 2 when a plug is inserted.

Mike.

The connector shown is a DC-power jack. It contains an automatic switch e.g. to change to internal battery power if no power plug is inserted.

Assuming pin1 is +UB, then pin2 is -UB. Closing the connection pin2 -> pin3 UBatt- will be connected to the circuit. The positive battery terminal will be connected to +UB at all times.

Boncuk

Last edited:
hi,
Its often referred to as a 'shorting jack'.

Quote:
The shorting arrangement can put as resistive load across the hot connection killing any unwanted signal pickup.
Sometimes called a 'closed-circuit jack'.

Looking at the schematic and reading the messages, I am thinking that Pommie is correct. I will test before I put it into my parts library for sure.

Looking at the schematic and reading the messages, I am thinking that Pommie is correct. I will test before I put it into my parts library for sure.

I think your right. I looked at the symbol incorrectly. I was thinking a standard TR plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back