Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

verify failed at address 0000h with IC-Prog

Status
Not open for further replies.

cucamunga

Hi, this is my story."I build the SCHAER+ (**broken link removed**)
and i tried to program my 18F452, but the thing is that it BURN it !!...but was my fault, because i made a mistake"
the thing is that i have a 16F877A but i can't program anything, at the verify says: "verify failed at address 0000h".
Can anyone tell me how to config the IC-Prog(the fuses, write enable,the oscillator, i'm using a 4 MHz with 22 pF capacitor,etc).
Thanks in advance

I use the power supply from a PC power supply with a 0.1 uF capacitor between GND and Vcc.
Before i build another cuircuit to program it (**broken link removed**) and i had the same problem.

Realy i don't know how to fix it.

Hi,
please go thro the readme for the icprog1.5D it is very clear.

Already Nigel pointed out check the required input voltages. parallel port config data is clearly given. also checkk whether you are using LPT1 or LPT2 as per the hardware and config are meaning same. then there are switches in the software to check the working of various pins connected. you only need an LED and a resistor to check. also you have to see whether signals are normal or INV-- as per the 7407 IC that YOU HAVE USED. the later schematic indicated by you has an internal Vpp generator. you can measure the output. this circuit may not require externaLVpp. youmay however check the voltage at MCLR pin of the IC,how much voltage is comming there and whether it is inaccordance with PIC datasheet concerned?
Like this you may have to go analytical and you will go thro.

PS: Already Gramo has given enough stuff to help you while this post is being typed. Waa! Gramo

Last edited:
Hi, thanks a lot for all the answers, but i must say..." i check everythink and still have the same problem"...
Here are some test that i maded:
1.- The voltage of the pin 1(Vpp) is 12,7v when IC-Prog is not running...and goes to ~0V when i click "program all".
2.- when i click "hardware check", i check all the opcions and nothing seems to work.

should i use a voltage regulator for all power supplys(Vcc(+5V) and +12V)?

Thanks a lot.

Nigel, have you check the SCHAER+ schematic?... which 12v regulator are you taking about?...because in the schematic the 7812 IC is not connected to nothing(it's in the aire if i don't put the jumper).
also, i believe there is an error in the power supply part of the schematic...can you check it?

Thanks a lot and sorry for my english.

Looks fine to me?, by 'jumper' do you mean JP1? - it's NOT a jumper, it's where the 18V power supply connects to the circuit - the 12V regulator is used to provide a 13V supply for Vpp.

How do you know that the JP1 is a 18v power supply?...it does not say it on the schematic.
The JP2 and JP3 are also 18v ?

cucamunga said:
How do you know that the JP1 is a 18v power supply?...it does not say it on the schematic.

Because that's the sort of supply these David Tait style programmers need. It's feeding into a 7812 12V regulator, with three diodes in it's ground lead (giving around 13V out). Assuming you need a MINIMUM of 3V more than that going in, that means 16V - ABSOLUTE MINIMUM - with 18V giving a suitable margin for error.

So essentially you've never even attempted to feed the correct power to the programmer?, hardly surprising it doesn't work!.

The JP2 and JP3 are also 18v ?

No, they are jumpers.

Dear Cucamunga,

Hope that you have the circuit diagram on hand it will help us better to discuss exactly & with specific component numbers. you may perhaps download the diagram and confirm..

Did you ensure that the LPT shown by the software is exactly same as what you have plgged the programmer's DB25 plug?

The input supply to the programmer shall at least be 16V DC Nothing wrong if it is 18V DC as suggested by nigel. this voltage is act input pin and common ground (across pins of JP 1). then output pin f 7812 and ground shall be some whare like 13.2 to 13.4 V DC output of 7805 and ground shall be 5+/-0.2VV DC

Check thease aspects. if basic mistake is there in connecting the DB25 plug-- the testing of hardware as indicated in description of ic-prog1.5D shall fail.

Also see the settings of various pins for clock, data, Vcc control and Vdd control.( whether to be inverted or NOT depends on use of 7406 as i already tried to indicate to you.

Apparantly you may perhaps be doing a very small mistake. Check coolly and thoroughly.

Last edited:
One other thing - if you have protected the code, verify will fail because the chip won't let the programmer read the memory. I banged my head against this when I had set the wrong config bit.

philba said:
One other thing - if you have protected the code, verify will fail because the chip won't let the programmer read the memory. I banged my head against this when I had set the wrong config bit.

But NOT during programming, the fuses are set right at the very end - and the program memory is verified after every single word is written. Usually there's an option to verify afterwards, and that will fail if the config fuses are set - but it doesn't affect during programming (which is where it's presumably happening?).

hmmm, I believe the epic+ software verifies after setting the fuses. the display shows a programming phase followed by a verify phase. That is the symptom I saw when I had the problem. when I got my fuse settings correct the problem went away.

edit: IIRC, this problem didn't occur the first time so maybe it was the previously written read protect bit that I ran into on subsequent programmings.

Last edited:
philba said:
hmmm, I believe the epic+ software verifies after setting the fuses. the display shows a programming phase followed by a verify phase. That is the symptom I saw when I had the problem. when I got my fuse settings correct the problem went away.

I would expect it to verify word by word as it writes the PIC, it's the obvious way to do it (write the address, verify the address, then increment the address) - and the programming aborts if it hits an error - usually at 0x000 which is the first address. It's then usual to do a full verify after programming as well - which is where it will fail if you've code protected it.

Hi, me again...i rebuild the circuit again and i realize that when the IcProg is off, the MCLR pin is ON (10.63v is that enought ?) so i INVERT MCLR and when i click "program all" turn from 0v to 10.63v...is that correct?
Also, the pin 8 of my 16F877A is RE0/RD/AN5 and is connect to ground, is that ok?...should i also connect pin 9(RE1/WR/AN6) to ground too?

cucamunga said:
Hi, me again...i rebuild the circuit again and i realize that when the IcProg is off, the MCLR pin is ON (10.63v is that enought ?) so i INVERT MCLR and when i click "program all" turn from 0v to 10.63v...is that correct?
Also, the pin 8 of my 16F877A is RE0/RD/AN5 and is connect to ground, is that ok?...should i also connect pin 9(RE1/WR/AN6) to ground too?

The voltage is too low, as expected. It must be 13 ± 0.5 V. If you have two 9 V batteries, connect them in series and use them to power the circuit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back