Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Velocity Sensitive Touch Pad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got bored one weekend and tried to make a one-chip capacitor pad sensor using just a 10 cent 74ACT14 hex schmidt inverter chip. The pad sensor was to be stand alone module so it has 6 oscillator outputs, and any PIC controller etc can just check the 6 frequencies on the output pins to see if a pad was activated.

I etched some copper pads on a PCB and used each pad as the capacitor, connected to inverter input and each inverter has one 150k resistor as feedback to make it oscillate, a very common inverter oscillator.

It worked but not great. The oscillators didn't always start up as the pad capacitance was too low. I patched in some 22pF caps to test and the oscillators stabilised but then sensisitvity was not good. I was able to detect finger at 5mm from the pad, but the low sensitivity meant the freq was only a few percent lower, so I wouldnt call it a reliable sensor. With the finger right on the pad (just paper between) it was mostly reliable.

The problem is that a schmidt inverter oscillator needs to oscillate the cap voltage from 1/3Vcc to 2/3Vcc which takes a bit of power at 300kHz. The 74ACT14 althoguh having good cmos specs was not up to self starting 6 high-freq power oscillators all at the same time, problems with latchup, refusing to start etc.

Another problem was that I connected the 6 outputs with no buffering, I just used 6x 39k resistors to the output pins, so when the output was loaded with a scope etc sensitivity was reduced again. Anyway it was worth a try for a 1 chip system. :)

The Microchip 'Mtouch' app notes use a comparator oscillator which needs much less power and is more sensitive, is buffered and better self starting.

Also my pad design wasnt great, the pads are a little small and I didn't have any ground tracks near the pad for the finger to capacitively couple. The early Microchip app note shows a good pad design with a small ground pad in the centre, and then the pad around that. That gives better sensitivity. With a well designed comparator oscillator you can just use plain pads though, like the new Microchip app notes.

If I was really going to do it again i'd use 3 dual comparator ICs for more sensitive oscillators and a hex inverter as the output buffer. Hardly a one chip solution... especially when you can get PIC16F722 for $1 that has 16 Mtouch capacitor sense modules built in AND a PIC to go with it.

Attachments

• touch6.jpg
    touch6.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 203
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back