Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Velleman K2543 Electronic Ignition Kit Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

umiq88

Hi looking for some help. I'm intending on buying or replicating a Velleman K2543 for an old British bike I'm working on.

Currently the bike is 6V Positive Earth.

Would someone be willing to take a look at the circuit and see if it could be modified for positive earth. Diagram is in the manual https://www.velleman.eu/downloads/0/illustrated/illustrated_assembly_manual_k2543.pdf

Also I'm used to electrics not electronics. I'm hoping to mount everything in a small discrete alluminium enclousure. Any advice on this is there standard enclouruse and boards available?

1613338429340.png

Hypothetically:
Reverse all the diodes, and use PNP transistors rather than NPN.

Try a 2N2905 for T1 and a MJ11021G for T2, that is the nearest for a PNP equivalent.

And make the zener diodes 120V rather than 150, as that transistor is not rated for quite as high a voltage. I cannot find any PNP darlington with as high a ratings as the TIP162.

I've reversed an automotive circuit in the way that rjenkinsgb describes. It was an electronic flasher unit for direction indicators, and it was so long ago that there were no ICs. It works fine.

If you want a higher rated darlington, you could use two separate transistors instead. Both need to have the voltage rating you need. The first one only needs a small current rating, say 1/10th of what the TIP 162 has. The second one needs to have the same current rating as the TIP162. You should put a 10 k resistor between the base and emitter of the second transistor.

Hi looking for some help. I'm intending on buying or replicating a Velleman K2543 for an old British bike I'm working on.

Currently the bike is 6V Positive Earth.

Would someone be willing to take a look at the circuit and see if it could be modified for positive earth. Diagram is in the manual https://www.velleman.eu/downloads/0/illustrated/illustrated_assembly_manual_k2543.pdf

Also I'm used to electrics not electronics. I'm hoping to mount everything in a small discrete alluminium enclousure. Any advice on this is there standard enclouruse and boards available?

View attachment 129729

What is the bike?, and does it use an alternator or a dynamo? - it might be easier to change the bike to negative earth.

There's VERY little electronics (or none!) on old bikes, so if it's dynamo all you usually need to do is re-polarise the field coil.

It's an alternator so no problem but trying to keep it somewhat original.

Also looking for some advice on how to mount everything. I know I can buy the kit but as it's going on a motorcycle it needs to be water tight and dissipate the heat. I've found a thing call a Hammond box which looks like what I want but not sure how I would mount everything inside. Also need to be careful not to ground the components.

For the power transistor, a piece of heavy aluminium angle or bent plate bolted to the inside of the die cast box, plus thermal grease and an insulator kit.

eg. something like this bracket (but a bit larger, for the TO-3 can transistor).

The other parts could be assembled on veroboard/stripboard or tag strips.

**broken link removed**

Use a good compression gland for the cable entry:

The easy way to convert that circuit to positive ground is to reverse the direction of all the diodes, and replace the two NPN transistors with PNP's that are close in their voltage and current parameters (for example a 2N2997 and a MJL4302AG may work).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back